Protein skimmer for 20g reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khuligirl93

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 20 long nano reef that's been set up about 3 months. I do weekly 20% water changes but I've started getting some greasy residue on the surface of the water. What do you all recommend for a good quality but not overly pricey protein skimmer? I don't have a sump or refugium, so a HOB skimmer would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Aquaticlife 115 if you don't mind it taking up space in your tank. Here's what it looks like in my 20 high and it only cost me 50 bucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't like any of the nano skimmers. For such a small tank it will take up too much space IMO. You can just aim a power head upward so there is more surface agitation. This should cut the surface film.

There is a TON of surface agitation from my 2 jebao wp 10s and my aqua clear 70. Lots of ripples. It doesn't break up the slime though, it's too thick.

I had some oil problems as well.

I just got some kitchen towels and laid them on the surface.

Simple as that.

You could look into one if the surface skimmer boxes from pico for your ac70, which would be your cheapest option. Reef octopus and eshopps both make nice hob skimmers too.

I don't like any of the nano skimmers. For such a small tank it will take up too much space IMO. You can just aim a power head upward so there is more surface agitation. This should cut the surface film.

I really don't feel like mine takes up to much space. I guess it helps that it's the same color of my background so it's not that noticeable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is a TON of surface agitation from my 2 jebao wp 10s and my aqua clear 70. Lots of ripples. It doesn't break up the slime though, it's too thick.

Can you figure out where this stuff is coming from>? How about changing up the food you are using?
I don't run nanos, and regularly run out of space in all of my big setups, so I just assumed this would be the same. I guess it's up to the user. I just hate the look of lots of power heads and large mechanical devices in and on the tank.

I just feed frozen hikari mysis. And I really don't feed very often. Only 2-3 times a week.
It's nasty. When I put my arm in the tank and take it out, my arm feels oily.

Hmmm I very very occasionally feed coral frenzy powder. I saturate it in water and then use a pipette to target feed corals.

Fluval makes a slimmer/intake for their cam mister filters that's easy to adapt to almost any filter

Just looked it up on amazon, it runs @ $19, I used one on my 65 until I built my sump and it worked very well, I just put a 26 gallon bowfront together on Saturday and I'm already seeing a need for its use again

It'll work on a HOB?

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
<title>Sell Sheet E (Page 1)</title>
</head>
<body>
<div class="page" title="Page 1">

</div>
</body>
</html>

That looks like it would work... I just hope it connects to my filter. I'll have to try it!

I used one on my 65 gallon tank that had a 36x18 surface to skim and it worked really well and I ended up putting it in use on the 26 gallon bowfront that I set up last Saturday because there was a load of film on the surface from adding the sand and the skimmer had it cleaned up in about two hours

Hello, do you think this might work with a marineland canister filter? I have a 25gal tank. Where you able to try it?

Back
Top Bottom