Protein skimming?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobsal91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a small 12 gallon nanoreef with one
Fairy wrasse in it with a few hermits and small polyps. For such a small tank is protein skimming really needed? Seems to do fine without it. I also dont have any bubble makers in the tank, should i have a small one just for oxygen for the fish or do you think i will be fine? I dont see why i would absolutly need it but what is everyones opinion?

what kind of filter do you have? I was told that if you have a HOB filter, that you really don't need to worry about air stones to supply oxygen because of filtration on the HOB filter, HOWEVER, if its an enclosed canister type filter, that you would need to supply some sort of O2 method... I ended up picking up a Skimmer for my 30 gallon, but i never seemed to have had any Oxygen issues with my 3gal nano, with the HOB filter.

As far as needing a Skimmer for the 12 gallon you have, I'm not really sure, as im just now getting into using one! (literally installed it 2 nights ago)

Hmm, Well i have an 'aquapod'. Which is a discontinued model. Its honestly basically a biocube. Filtration is very simalr with the overflow. For the life of me i cant remember what its actually called, i want to say wet dry filtration. Very simple filter. And it is compatale with the biocube skimmer if i really wanted to do it but i honestly dont want to do it if i dont have to lol

Skimmers are usually not needed for smaller nanos like this one. Filtration isnt even required besides live rock. Weekly water changes and live rock do all the filtration need small tanks like these.

If you have some type of surface agitation from the return on your filtration then you should be fine. If not i would get an airstone of some type or a small nano powerhead.

Back
Top Bottom