Question about my clean up crew.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I have a Aquapod 12 reef setup. I was thinking of the following for a clean up crew. Will this work of should I adjust it? Thanks

1 skunk cleaner shrimp
3 red leg hermit crabs
3 margarita snails
2 other snails (dunno what to get)

What you have listed will work, but here's my personal recommendations....

I'd go with a couple/few smaller shrimp, like maybe peppermints or sexies, instead of the skunk. The skunk cleaner will work, but they can actually get quite large..... I've got 4 year-old skunk that I picked up from someone else tearing down their tank, and he looks absolutely huge in my 28g tank...... he'd look freakishly out of proportion in a 12g. Let's just say he'd be the centerpiece of your aquarium, literally..... because he probably wouldn't be able to move but a few inches in any direction. :D

I'm not a fan of red or blue leg hermits..... If you're going to have snails, red/blue legs are more likely to kill them just for the heck of it. Not saying they will do it, but they're more apt to. I'd prefer a few scarlet hermits.... they tend to be more snail friendly.

As far as margarita snails, same opinion as with the skunk cleaner..... they'll do a good job, but they can get very large. I'd go with a few astreas and some ceriths... they stay a bit smaller, but have good appetites for their size.

Last edited:
What you have listed will work, but here's my personal recommendations....

I'd go with a couple/few smaller shrimp, like maybe peppermints or sexies, instead of the skunk. The skunk cleaner will work, but they can actually get quite large..... I've got 4 year-old skunk that I picked up from someone else tearing down their tank, and he looks absolutely huge in my 28g tank...... he'd look freakishly out of proportion in a 12g. Let's just say he'd be the centerpiece of your aquarium, literally..... because he probably wouldn't be able to move but a few inches in any direction. :D

I'm not a fan of red or blue leg hermits..... If you're going to have snails, red/blue legs are more likely to kill them just for the heck of it. Not saying they will do it, but they're more apt to. I'd prefer a few scarlet hermits.... they tend to be more snail friendly.

As far as margarita snails, same opinion as with the skunk cleaner..... they'll do a good job, but they can get very large. I'd go with a few astreas and some ceriths... they stay a bit smaller, but have good appetites for their size.

Hey yea I did go with a peppermint shrimp. Only reason I was thinking the skunk was they look cool! Haha
But I will keep an eye on the hermits and snails. Thanks for the input.

One more thing... How long does it usually take for all the brown algae stuff to go away?

I have blue and red leg hermits and they dont bother my snails at all. As long as they have enough food to forage and empty shells to move into they should leave the snails alone. I would also add a couple turbo snails as well.

I have blue and red leg hermits and they dont bother my snails at all. As long as they have enough food to forage and empty shells to move into they should leave the snails alone. I would also add a couple turbo snails as well.

Are turbo snails too big for a 12g tank tho?

Not really i put 2 in a 10 gallon And thay kept it clear of algae.

Is the Brown algae on the sand? If so just ignore it and it will soon clear

Are turbo snails too big for a 12g tank tho?

They can get pretty big, but they take a while to get there. If you get small ones to begin with, they'll look OK for quite a while. Once they get too big for your liking, a lot of LFS's will take them back in for store credit trade.

Yea there is still some brown algae on my rocks abs some on the sand; not nearly as much as a week ago. But still some. And thanks for the info on the turbo snails. I think I might pick up 2.. Here is a pic of how much algae is left (this is day 20 for me btw and I am a saltwater noob so all input is welcomed!)

image-3158727246.jpg

Ya thats normal it will soon disappear looking good, really like it.

Ya thats normal it will soon disappear looking good, really like it.

Thank you! I can't wait for it to all go away. I am actually how well my first saltwater tank is going! Well I have fresh water experience so that might have helped. I baby this thing; fish eat 3 small portions a day of brine shrimp, flakes, and herbivore pellets; I test the water with api test kit 3 times a day, test salinity twice a day, PWC every 5 days, and I use kent nano reef A and B :) my only regret now was that I got such a small tank, but ill work with it for now.

I would personnally cut back on 3 feeds to two max aday, some people feed ever other day, also i would test 2 to 3 times aweek as doimg it 3 times aday you might not get true reading same as salanaty as that will affect the ph as it swings throughout the day. Just my opinoin.

I would personnally cut back on 3 feeds to two max aday, some people feed ever other day, also i would test 2 to 3 times aweek as doimg it 3 times aday you might not get true reading same as salanaty as that will affect the ph as it swings throughout the day. Just my opinoin.

Ok... Yea I know it is a little over kill but I just wanted to make sure the fish would be ok in the new tank. And I will cut back to 2 feelings a day

Back
Top Bottom