Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
I dont know very much about corals and i want to learn more about what I can get with a 14 gallon biocubes stock lighting. It equals about 3.43 watts a gallon. Whats a basic list of what i could get with that lighting and space?

With the pc in the biocube, you could grow mushrooms, zoas, polyps any of the softies fairly easily. Once you start looking into the hard corals, you'll start finding issues.

If you're going to push the envelope, stick with lps. You may be able to find something in that range that can tolerate it. I'm not sure if i'd chance that though.

I'd just stuff it full of little polyps. :)

Isn't there a lighting upgrade for it (HQI)? If you had tht I'm pretty sure you could keep more of a variety of coral, If you can afford it.

When I went looking for one, they told me the nanocubes with the halide lighting were no longer in production. As it stands, the 14g biocube has less light than the coralife fixture on my 10. :)
The bulbs are probably easy to retrofit but i'm not trying it. There's not a whole lot of room in them.

IMO, you would be fine with softies and most LPS. That is basically the standard range of coral with the biocube's PC lighting. You should be fine with the euphyllia species like anchor, frogspawn, or torch as they are LPS, just need to watch the placement of them. Candy cane is another good LPS coral that you can try. HTH.

I have a biocube 29 and I have less light per gallon and my tank is stuffed. You might be limited by your lfs but you have tons of options.

Mushrooms, small leathers, zoas, or most softies will do fine. Just make sure they aren't the kind that spread real fast since you ain't working with a lot of real estate. :) Either that or be prepared to frag and share, sell or trade in to the LFS.

My frogspawn has been a piece of cake to take care of. I've only just started adding calcium and iodine to my tank, and in the month i've had it, it's grown 3 heads.

yes. All of the euphyllia are, torchs, frogspawns, hammer corals.. They'll sting anything they can reach so they need to be fairly isolated.

And I'm a big fan of the water changes instead of adding chemicals like iodine and calcium, unles your doing hard corals and need the calcium addition.

Back
Top Bottom