Research, research, research... 28 gallon nano cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iris135

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello!

I bought my fiance a 29 gallon coffee table fish tank for his birthday a few months ago. I knew he was interested in keeping fish and I figured I'd have nothing to do with it (I'm dog lover, and fish can't give me kisses and keep me warm at night). WRONG! I'm am totally obsessed now, I spend hours looking at the tank and trying to figure out what to do next with it. I also spend hours pouring over forums on this website. I have pretty much taken over all tank operations (I should prob just get him a replacement gift lol).

So, I want to try my hand at SW (then maybe he can have his FW tank back). I have been doing much research over the past few weeks. I probably won't get a tank started for at least 6 months (until after our wedding), but I am condsidering buying some equipment in the meantime in order to lighten the load on my wallet when I do start.

I don't want to go too small for my first SW tank, to leave more room for errors and learning curves. I am leaning toward a JBJ 28 Gallon Nano Cube LED Intermediate Series Aquarium. I am looking for tips and advice on that system. It seems the be the best deal for the price. I would like to grow a variety of corals, and from what I know (which is next to nothing), the stock light should be able to handle it. I have read that many ppl add a third pump to the tank. Is that optimal or is just replacing the stock pumps better? I see that the matching stand can accomodate a chiller, would it be able to accomodate a small sump? Has anyone tried a sump in this system? Is it worth purchasing the matching stand (I don't really like the look of it)? I plan on doing the refugium conversion. Should a RO/DI filter system be part of my initial purchases? I just curious with the sump, I probably won't try it unless I upgrade to a larger system some day.

More questions to come...

I would not go under 55 75 or 90 gallon for SW as a beginner just from what I have read and heard smaller isn't better

I see a lot of bio cubes used and not very old for sale cause they don't work out well for the new guys

The 28 gallon is the smallest size I would consider. I have thought heavily about the 55 gallon but I am nervous about building a system from scratch. That's why I'm doing as much research as possible before purchasing anything.

It happens that I have JUST found a 55 tank with stand for free. I may be looking more into the build after all.

I just spent another 200$ today on parts to build a sump on my 29g cube . My 55 is allot easier to maintain .if I were todo another nano it would be drilled for sure . I like the deep blue professionals 20x20x20

Really the nano are for they guys and gals that have done it a lot u might want to ask Doug aka mr x and I have learned in tank setups don't try to go cheap it will cost u more In the long run cause u will want to upgrade really fast

Back
Top Bottom