Reset of 14G Biocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eventually...have to get the trip over however. :) Aslo, I lied :)...aafter posting the pics I was shutting down the house for the night. I peeked into the tank and found yet another little urchin. This one is so small it hasn't even reached penny size yet..he was hiding under the ledge of the rock above him.

Nearly there. I went through another mini-cycle due to the fact I almost dropped an entire container of pellets into the tank...dog bumped my arm just as I got the cap open and of course it was directly over the tank. Got most of it out with a net but have been fighting increased ammonia and nitrites. Tonights readings were encouraging...down to nearly 0 on ammonia (darker than zero but too light for .25 on the chart), .25 on nitrites and 40 on Nitrates. I did an aggressive 50% water change tonight but I think I am back on track.

Live Aquaria got in the one spotted blenny that I wanted so hopefully they will still have them for an order next Thursday since I will be home Friday to receive :). Will be adding in some mushrooms, polyps and zoos as well.

Second fish will be a firefish eventually..don't want to add 2 fish at the same time.

As for my urchins, I am up to 6 now, these things are popping out all over the place, and the very first one I discovered about 6 weeks ago is HUGE. Tank is starting to get urchin crowded so may have to find a new home for some of them.

Your tank sure takes a while to finish it's cycle! I think I started later than you and I already have 2 fishies and 2 corals :p
I hope you can get that blenny you want. Blennies are sooo cool!

Actually, it had cycled two weeks ago but then I was going out of town for a week and didn't want to have new inhaibants standing without supervision :). Then I came back and had the accident with the pellets and the ammonia spiked and the nitrates went through the roof. I had to wait until the ammonia played itself out again.

I had to go into my LFS for some freshwater stuff and casually glanced over their corals...for the price, they didn't look all that good. THey had a firefish, which is the second fish I want, but they wanted, well, let's just say a good three times what it should be priced. Going to make that order to Live Aquaria later in the week and hopefully the Blenny will still be in stock :) Paramaters on the salt this morning were good...ammonia barely registering and nitrates down to about 20...nitrites are back to 0.

Looking good. Do another PWC to get those nitrates lower. I got mine down to a comfortable below 5 which is very nice. :)
Do you want to buy from Diver's den at LA? I got my tail spot blenny there. I like Diver's den 'coz i can actually see what I'm buying

I have to make sure I have an arrival for Friday so am hoping some of what is pictured n the "Den" remains...there are a few nice looking Zoos and Polyps in there. Keeping my fingers crossed until Wednesday :)

Well I did it :). I ordered the Tail Spot Blenny and got some Tea Cup coral from LA's Diver's Den. Both will be here on Friday. Going on light parameters for the coral, I did some rescaping tonight...shocked the blazes out of the Peppermint Shrimp :) Of course now they are really happy as I stirred up the sand bed a bit which of course brought particles of food out as well or whatever it is they are picking at. Either way they are bouncing all over the tank right now.

Here is the same type of coral. The one I am actually getting has the same colors but brighter. And of course the Blenny :)

Attachments

• 071111-233a.jpg
    071111-233a.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 99
  • p-39334-tail-spot-blenny.jpg
    p-39334-tail-spot-blenny.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 118
Hey that's my blenny!!! Lol :D

Will be waiting for the pics when the newcomers arrive. I've been looking at the teacups too so I'm curious if it's as pretty in person.

I know it's been a while since I updated. I was studying for a certification exam and it was taking up a LOT of time. Passed the thing and am now able to play again :)

Well, the bad news is the Blenny didn't make the trip. I was worried anyway as the temps in the area ended up being in the 100s that day and this was supposed to be a "before 4PM" delivery. In other words, the box sat in a hot FEDEX truck all day since they got here at 3:58 that afternoon. Of course, before I could get a day off to get another one, they sold out..back on the waiting list. Anyhoo, I went and got some fish from a local LFS, well, sort of local, it was an hour away, and let things simmer for a bit. The tea cup coral seems to have gone from the bluish-green color from the picture to a staid old brown but they are doing well in any case. Once I get the new 28 setup I may be able to adjust the waterflow and lighting angle though I am pretty sure what the colony is getting now can be considered "medium" for both flow and light. I picked up a small zoo colony at the same store I got the fish. I have a starburst polyp and a Giant Green Polyp coming on Thursday; both of those are from LiveAquaria's certified captive grown series. Given the tank size for now, I think that will be it until the 28 cycles out. I am debating leaving the 14 set up as well but figure I can transfer at least one piece of this liverock into the 28 for a little faster cycling. The piece I am thinking about is really too large for the 14 and too solid to try and break into pieces...I tried.

Pics of the tank and the incoming new additions :).

Attachments

• Tank 30 Aug 2011.jpg
    Tank 30 Aug 2011.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 152
  • th-43001-starburst.jpg
    th-43001-starburst.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 146
  • th-47901-duncan.jpg
    th-47901-duncan.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 145
:)...that is the result of about 8 reworks and two "landslides" :) I have two live mussels on two pieces that are attached at an angle so had to accomodate them...made the scaping a lot more difficult if I wanted them to live.

Pics of the new arrivals. The tecup coral refuses to stay up high and seems happy where it finally ended up.

Attachments

• 9021.jpg
    9021.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 9022.jpg
    9022.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 9023.jpg
    9023.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 136
tlkng1 said:
I know it's been a while since I updated. I was studying for a certification exam and it was taking up a LOT of time. Passed the thing and am now able to play again :)

Well, the bad news is the Blenny didn't make the trip. I was worried anyway as the temps in the area ended up being in the 100s that day and this was supposed to be a "before 4PM" delivery. In other words, the box sat in a hot FEDEX truck all day since they got here at 3:58 that afternoon. Of course, before I could get a day off to get another one, they sold out..back on the waiting list. Anyhoo, I went and got some fish from a local LFS, well, sort of local, it was an hour away, and let things simmer for a bit. The tea cup coral seems to have gone from the bluish-green color from the picture to a staid old brown but they are doing well in any case. Once I get the new 28 setup I may be able to adjust the waterflow and lighting angle though I am pretty sure what the colony is getting now can be considered "medium" for both flow and light. I picked up a small zoo colony at the same store I got the fish. I have a starburst polyp and a Giant Green Polyp coming on Thursday; both of those are from LiveAquaria's certified captive grown series. Given the tank size for now, I think that will be it until the 28 cycles out. I am debating leaving the 14 set up as well but figure I can transfer at least one piece of this liverock into the 28 for a little faster cycling. The piece I am thinking about is really too large for the 14 and too solid to try and break into pieces...I tried.

Pics of the tank and the incoming new additions :).

I like the aquascaping!

Final of 14G...next thread will start builds of two 28G Nanocubes

Hi All...

This will be my final update of the 14 Biocube. I had purchased the new Nanocube LED Pro a few weeks back which I hadn't done anything with as yet pending new floors going down. Well, last week I won an Intermediate version in a raffle at work. So, I made the decision to dismantle the 14 and work the two 28s instead.

Not sure where I am in the schedule of this tank...somewhere around 4.5 months now I think.

I've had some losses..lost a Clownfish last weekend due to a tail nip and then low temp in the tank due to a power failure over the cooler weekend last week. I got lucky in that I didn't lose any of the corals or inverts and the Firefish is happy again. I have a Tail Spot Blenny and new Clown coming tomorrow so had to do a quick QT set-up but am all ready for the new arrivals. I also have 16lbs of Nano Liverock coming from Liveaquaria to start the 28 adventure. I figure for the two 28s I need roughly 80lbs total but I already have 20 in the 14. Gee..only 44 more pounds to go :huh:

Pics of the 14:

Attachments

• 7OctA.jpg
    7OctA.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 7OctB.jpg
    7OctB.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 102
  • 7OctC.jpg
    7OctC.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 7OctD.jpg
    7OctD.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 108
OK, I lied. I know I said my last pics were the final ones, but, couldn't resist since I was starfish hunting. My finger got itchy on the camera button.

5 months down and the liverock is still spitting out hitchhikers. Pics here of the Hammer Coral I picked up this weekend and just some general re-scaping.

Diver's Den at LiveAquaria had a 25lb box of fully cured aquacultured liverock...Nano sized :) at about half the cost I would get it elsewhere. It'll put me over what I actually need for the new set-ups but the rock was beautiful. I may need to work a deal with my LFS to trade in some other cured rock for credit or try and sell it locally.

Attachments

• 17OctoberA.jpg
    17OctoberA.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 17OctoberB.jpg
    17OctoberB.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 17OctoberC.jpg
    17OctoberC.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 89
Back
Top Bottom