Rockscape question BC 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do most when rock scaping leave the 3 sides open so you can clean the glass either with a scrubber or the magna float?

Just curious because mine I left the 3 sides with enough space to get the magna float all the way around. And my buddy has rock all over the sides and leaning on the glass etc... I actually like the it looks. Makes the tank look bigger then it is and he has more room to add corals and stuff.

Was just wondering if there was a rule of thumb or pretty much just go for it kinda attitude. And if it's go for it, how would you clean the glass?

Just thinking aloud. Thanks!

I think it depends on the person. In my cube I left enough room on all sides and the back so I could clean it. :)

Ya you can leave the walls open! Thats very smart because when algea builds up on the glass you will be happy you can clean it off ;) haha

carey said:
I think it depends on the person. In my cube I left enough room on all sides and the back so I could clean it. :)

Well the back is out for me lol not a chance lol :)

His tank just looked I dunno more complete I was looking at it and he had all kinds of stuff against the glass and growing everywhere. I could have stared at it for hours! But I had a house fire to battle. We just got back to the station house and were online looking a BC setups. The guys want a saltwater tank now! Oh boy. What am I gonna do now. Hmmmmm.... 125 gallon? Haha :)

I'm not sure we could maintain it. Fires ok, saltwater tanks? I'm thinking not so much.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ya you can leave the walls open! Thats very smart because when algea builds up on the glass you will be happy you can clean it off ;) haha

Thanks!! Yeah was thinking the same! I'll be thankful down the road :)

I've got rock on the back and sides but once you've got coral on the sides and they open, algae isn't noticeable lol

Convict2161 said:
Well the back is out for me lol not a chance lol :)

His tank just looked I dunno more complete I was looking at it and he had all kinds of stuff against the glass and growing everywhere. I could have stared at it for hours! But I had a house fire to battle. We just got back to the station house and were online looking a BC setups. The guys want a saltwater tank now! Oh boy. What am I gonna do now. Hmmmmm.... 125 gallon? Haha :)

I'm not sure we could maintain it. Fires ok, saltwater tanks? I'm thinking not so much.

Lol well youve already got all the water!!! Man thatd be sick, the firemen with a huge tank!

For you, Mr. OCD, i wouldnt lean the rocks on the glass. The algae might kill ya! Hahah!

If you like the look that much and dont care, do it. I agree with the above..you wont notice it if you have corals on those rocks!

Gboy66 said:
Lol well youve already got all the water!!! Man thatd be sick, the firemen with a huge tank!

For you, Mr. OCD, i wouldnt lean the rocks on the glass. The algae might kill ya! Hahah!

If you like the look that much and dont care, do it. I agree with the above..you wont notice it if you have corals on those rocks!

I may start a nice tank in put lounge area. We have some really good handy guys. Maybe a in the wall tank. If I do go ahead I will start a nice thread from beginning to end. I just have to see if the union will pay for it or If we just need to all chip in. Maybe I can say its therapy ;)

As for the rocks go, I hear ya on my OCD. BUT... I can always take it out. Because I know me and I'll always wonder what it would have looked like with another rock here or there lol. And like it was said if I have mushrooms or corals on it maybe it wouldn't be so bad... I have time yet so no rush. I have but SW cube on hold for now. I've been modding everything and upgrading things here and there.

Lol therapy! Do it!! Make it a fowlr with all the big fish..i doubt the guys would be as impressed with gobys and shrimp as we are;) bring our the big guns..puffers and eels!!

True! In that case, go for it!!

Gboy66 said:
Lol therapy! Do it!! Make it a fowlr with all the big fish..i doubt the guys would be as impressed with gobys and shrimp as we are;) bring our the big guns..puffers and eels!!

True! In that case, go for it!!

Yeah I may do it on both subjects :)

Just in case the fire house ever catches on fire (irony) these 200 gallons of water will help stop the fire! Haha you could make a sick rock scape and that would be super cool in the lounge area!

I didnt put rock against the back wall and wish I would have. The scape would be better for corals if it sloped to the back wall and rested on it.

One thing I have heard, though I make no claim to the accuracy, is that leaning rocks on one side of the tank changes the weight distribution against the glass in such a way that it can shorten the tank's life.
Like I said, just heard this from a fishy friend, don't know how true it is. But since I usually get my tanks used, I prefer not to take any chances and keep the rocks away from the sides.

Convict2161 said:
This is what I have so far. Was thinking of adding more rock, left and right side against the glass. I've been toying with the idea for awhile now.

Do it man! That rockscape look great, dont get me wrong. But i feel like you of all people could do better;)

Gboy66 said:
Do it man! That rockscape look great, dont get me wrong. But i feel like you of all people could do better;)

Haha!! Thanks!! I'm gonna go for it! Going tomorrow to get few more pieces for the sides! :)

Edit:

I see I have a reputation to uphold ;)

Convict2161 said:
Haha!! Thanks!! I'm gonna go for it! Going tomorrow to get few more pieces for the sides! :)

Edit:

I see I have a reputation to uphold ;)

Lol yeah man i expect the world! Haha!

Is your tank cycled? It seems lile it dhould be by now right?

Gboy66 said:
Lol yeah man i expect the world! Haha!

Is your tank cycled? It seems lile it dhould be by now right?

Oh yeah it's ready! I just had to hold off because of the issues with my African tank. So soon I'll be adding stuff. Just want the scape top notch for my standards first.

I have some work to do tomorrow :)

I'm never satisfied.

Gboy66 said:
Lol! Man, youve got to get some life in there!!!

Yes I do! I have some hermits and snails. And I found what I believe to be a emerald crab that just came out of a rock one night when I was just watching the tank.

Very soon.

Back
Top Bottom