Rose in nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was at my LFS the other day and I overheard a salesman talking to a customer (lady and young child) about putting a Med-Lg Rose Anemone ($39) in a 12gal JBJ Nano with the standard equipt., specifically the 24W 50/50 PC lighting. Everything I've read says no way, these guys need strong lighting. I intervened and persuaded the lady not to get one. Did save a beautiful anemone from certain death?

Just want to know If I should hang my head high when I confront the pissed off salesman :evil: next time I'm in there.

no actually I heard they dont need strong light.I have seem them kept in nano (but unsure how long it was there).Mines prefers to move around the tank and doesn;t seem to like the light or dislike ti sometimes he is in it sometimes not in it at all , by his decesions.So I geuss let the rose speak for it self

A BTA will not like extreme light like that of MH but still required fairly bright light (PC/VHO). I personally think you did them a favor. 24w of light may be fine for a certain group of corals that adapt to this kind of intensity, a BTA is not one of those IME. It would really depend on where the anemone decided to settle down. In the long run though, I think it would make a poor choice.

Cheers
Steve

I got a 12 JBJ in order to increase the lighting in a controlled manner instead of my 25 gallon. My bta didn't really care for the change. At times in the 25 he looked very good and happy and other times like he wasn't doing so well. Now he doesn't look good most of the time, but he seems to be content.

On the other hand, I got a very small rbta in a setup that coudn't have been very good for it. I put him in my 12 JBJ and he has looked awesome ever since. He split a couple of times and looks very happy now. He likes the extra light. I upgraded my lights to 88 watts in my nano.

So I guess my experience is that it was probably a good call. I won't be replacing my btas if they don't make it (I very much hope they make it for a long time). I wasn't deterred by my lfs (who I don't go to anymore for livestock).

Bait, I wonder if I can guess which store you were in. I haven't been in a lfs in our area that would deter someone from buying anything live.

A BTA will not like extreme light like that of MH but still required fairly bright light (PC/VHO). I personally think you did them a favor. 24w of light may be fine for a certain group of corals that adapt to this kind of intensity, a BTA is not one of those IME.
Agreed 100%.

Okay, this would be a good thread for me to ask my question on since we seem to have some people that know something about RBTA's. First...pertinant stats on my tank.

175gal
400lbs of LR
(2) 110 vho's
(2) 175watt M/H

With that much live rock, you can imagine how many shaded areas and light variations there are in my tank. Based off that info, and anymore you might want to ask, should I be able to maintain one? I want at least one in my tank.

Squishy

SquishyFish said:
With that much live rock, you can imagine how many shaded areas and light variations there are in my tank. Based off that info, and anymore you might want to ask, should I be able to maintain one? I want at least one in my tank.
I'd give it a 50/50 chance. Considering the tank size, you actually do not have that much light. With the amount of rock there is a good chance it will find the right spot and do well. It really comes down to it finding the right flow/intensity in one spot. I have many times seen an anemone settle in a prefered flow spot over one that provides the right lighting and wither. Considering the tank was just moved, I would still wait a few months to be sure everything remains stable.

Cheers
Steve

A BTA would grow to big. Eventually it would be the only thing in the tank since it would wipe out any nearby corals.

Back
Top Bottom