Sad week, but new 15 gallon column build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea give it some time and don't rush it.... The fish will be happier and healthier in a cycled tank

Egg crate top is now done..... Also added some other corals I had in my brothers tank..... He was becoming overwhelmed with algae and I didn't want to risk it killing what I had there.... Water tested out great, so I may go ahead and add fish.... I thought I would have a small cycle, but I guess with moving everything over, not so much....fish plan now is a small occ. clown and a fire fish.....ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393582856.473524.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393582905.402048.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393582929.801355.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393582954.779933.jpg

If you do go clown and fire fish, add the ff first and give him a month or 2 to establish himself ( he can most likely still fit through that egg crate and will if the clown is harassing him right away). IMHO something a little less aggressive would do better with ff, harp tail blenny and a clown goby or hi fin red banded goby ( love these guys ) for example. If you got your heart set on a clown though, I would deffently add it last and go with a small one

Added the fish yesterday and so far both are doing great! I decided to go with a tiny occ clown, and a small fire fish.... I was also having some issues with cyano in my other tank before the move, and it tried to show it's ugly face again, but with nothing more than water changes that I am doing, it seems to be losing its grip.... Hopefully another change and it will be gone!! Only other thing I'm working on is either (a) finding better placement for the powerhead to reduce the sand flying, or (b) replace it with something else..... Right now it is a marineland powerhead with about 250 gph..,,, any suggestions? Oh.... And I came home last night to see my hubby had stuck in a orange tree sponge (OMG!!).... Looks fine so far, but I'm not sure I can keep it alive.... Guess we will see...:(ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393860209.540787.jpg

I would take that sponge back, they are notoriously tough to keep and if it dies it will crash the tank

Called the LFS where it came from and they do not offer any guarantee on livestock...... What now?

If it were my tank I would take it back anyway. With the tank being so young the chances for success go down even more, just my $.02

He paid $20 for it.....I called today and was told no refund or exchange, no exception.....I asked if I could just give it back and they said no.....wow.....maybe they know it wasn't spartan for them to try to take care of either!! Now I'm hoping to pass it off onto another local reefer......

In other news: I have some green fuzz taking up home on the power head in the tank....not on any rock, but I'm starting to see a little on the glass....what's the best way to get rid of it?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394071841.686588.jpg

What are your params? I would just take the power head out and clean it off manually.

Some nice new hair algae growth there. But, some LFS have a policy for not bringing things in ever. They get burnt by people bringing in things and get overwhelmed with majano or aiptasia...just as examples. My LFS is like that because of this reason. They've been fighting off the aiptasia forever and just aren't winning because of a coral trade.

This stuff is growing like crazy!!!!! This am there was none on the rocks and this evening I see little poofs of it everywhere!!!! My brother has a sea slug he says I should put in for a few days, but will it actually work? Also did a 50% water change today......ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394151051.664214.jpg my coralline algae is really taking off and starting to recover everything since it was bleached by the new lights at first, and my glass is covered with copepods....

Back
Top Bottom