Saltwater Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Horsegirlmaddy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Would really love to start a nano reef tank- but I want to have success, not repeated frustration. Roll your eyes now, because I really want clownfish. I know, I know, but they're popular for a reason! I know you don't need anemones and such to keep clowns, but if im doing marine, I might as well go the whole 9 yards and have fun with it! So, could someone please walk me through the setup and care. I want a pair of clowns, some coral, an anemone of some sort, and a small, reef safe sea star if possible; maybe a hermit crab for cleanup if I can.

What size tank would I need, what lights, which invertebrates, all the tank specifics, etc. I know all about cycling (have a million fw tanks lol) and I have marine salt and a hydrometer. Once it's cycled, what do I add first, the live rock? Then what? So basically everything i need to know! Thank you :)

Horsegirlmaddy said:
Would really love to start a nano reef tank- but I want to have success, not repeated frustration. Roll your eyes now, because I really want clownfish. I know, I know, but they're popular for a reason! I know you don't need anemones and such to keep clowns, but if im doing marine, I might as well go the whole 9 yards and have fun with it! So, could someone please walk me through the setup and care. I want a pair of clowns, some coral, an anemone of some sort, and a small, reef safe sea star if possible; maybe a hermit crab for cleanup if I can.

What size tank would I need, what lights, which invertebrates, all the tank specifics, etc. I know all about cycling (have a million fw tanks lol) and I have marine salt and a hydrometer. Once it's cycled, what do I add first, the live rock? Then what? So basically everything i need to know! Thank you :)

Welcome to SW!! :) You're gonna love it!! Put saltwater in tank, add live rock, and sand (unless you're going barebottom), heater, filter (or hook up sump). And then start cycling and wait. You'll also need to get SW ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests (or just the SW cards if you already have FW tests). I would suggest spray painting the back of the tank before filling so that cords don't show through.

They have nano tank setups that'll save you time and probably money. They come with lights and a filtration system and some come "reef ready"... You probably know all this but just in case =P

Thanks! I have a test kit which can be used for fresh or saltwater :) what kind of substrate would you suggest, I definitely won't be doing bare bottom

You probably need a 20-30 gal tank for clowns. I just upgraded to a 10 gal tank and let me tell you, spray painting the back flat black looks AWESOME!

Bearchumjs said:
You probably need a 20-30 gal tank for clowns. I just upgraded to a 10 gal tank and let me tell you, spray painting the back flat black looks AWESOME!

Agree with Jen about the size of the tank needed for 2 clowns. And spray painting is the easiest way to go- someone has a post going where they did green, and it looked cool. Black is good too, and shades of blue. I did live sand from Petco for both of my tanks. If you want fish that dig, you'll need about 3" of sand.

Back
Top Bottom