Sea hare in nano tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marinebeginner

Aquarium Advice Regular
As anyone got a sea hare in their nano tank . I have bought one to clean up the algae which appeared when I was on holidays (and programmed the lights for too long !) I think he is pretty cool looking though and don't want him to starve! Do they scavenge fish food- is there any other food I could feed him? My tank is 12G.
Thanks!

I just got two sea hares in my 6 gallon and they are adorable! I believe they are algae eaters, although if anyone else has more information, I'd appreciate it as well.

If you can get the sea hare to eat seaweed you might be ok. However ime that is too small a tank to house one. It really is just asking for trouble.

If you can get the sea hare to eat seaweed you might be ok. However ime that is too small a tank to house one. It really is just asking for trouble.

Could you elaborate on why it's difficult to raise a sea hare? I have large patches of Caulerpa in my tank which it can graze on, rock crevices to hide from the light, and a good amount of other algae on the live sand/rock/glass for it to feed on as well. Do you have any tips?

Have ordered some nori and a feeding clip. He has done a pretty quick job of clearing the algae bloom. Hopefully that'll be enough to sustain him otherwise will need to put him into foster care!

When seahares get sick or die they will give off a poison. In a small tank like a 6 or 10 gallon tank everything in the tank will die. seahares need to be in much bigger tanks.

Marinebeginner said:
BTW I don't mean that you are talking pish ! I mean "darn it! "

Lol. I wasn't sure what "pish" meant!!! Then I noticed you're in Scotland. Different slang there I'm sure. :) Even my phone kept trying to change the word to "push". Lol

I'm engaged to a Scotsman and as soon as I saw pish I knew exactly what it meant, and my phone didn't autocorrect cause I spell it all the time! Lol

Sea hare update:
Almost a month down the line and sea hare still alive. Feeding him some nori- which he loves! Trying to make sure I'm not overdoing it though and monitoring my levels more carefully. He then poops out semi-digested nori which the fish eat..... Lovely......

Back
Top Bottom