Setting up a new nanoreef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rybo

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I will be setting up a new nano reef within the next week or so. I want to eventually have 1 or 2 clownfish, some cleanup crew(shrimp,snails,ect.) and some corals and an anenome or any invert possibly.

1st question. For this build I have in mind should I go 10 gallon or 12 or 15 or 20 gallon. Can't go over 20. Acrylic or glass?

Following!!

I would do a 20 glass! Allows for multiple fish and lots of coral. Try to get a 20 breeder as well! Larger footprint!

My question for that is why not acrylic? I've heard it's lighter but can scratch more?

My question for that is why not acrylic? I've heard it's lighter but can scratch more?

It can scratch easier and cost a lot more. For bigger tanks acrylic is nice, but for smaller tanks I dont think it's really needed!

Go for the 20b and start with 20 lbs of LR and 20 of LS. Use some plastic light diffuser on the bottom, so your rock isn't on the glass. You can go up to 40lbs of rock but stay at 20 and get your tank cycling, you can always add in more rock as necessary or for caves, etc. Go fishless on the cycle and check your water every few days until you start to see different levels showing. Staying patient is the hardest part of the hobby. You could also start looking into your stock and don't forget a couple of wavemakers and possibly an HOB filter for creating some flow in your tank.

2 choices have come from my search for the perfect tank.
I agree the breeder version of a 20 gallon would be great. Extra depth and all....
But the only stores around my area do not sell anything close to this type so I will put in the options I have at my disposal....
Aqueon 20 gallon high 24.3" x 12.5" x 16.8 $20.00
Aqueon 20gallon 24x12x16 $20.00
Aqueon 20gallon long 30x13x12 $20.00
Aqueon 29 gallon 30.3" x 12.5" x 18.8 $29.00

Those are the options and yes such a good deal they are right now.
The question is will one of those be good or is there a place online where I can order the 20 gal breeder for close to that awesome price?

I'll add some pics of my fw 10 gallon that I just moved to the living room soon.

Last edited:
You said only 20 gallon was an option. After doing this for a short time I would start with the 29, you won't regret it. I don't think you'll find a dollar a gallon any where on line especially with shipping.

Thanks I'll go with the 29 gallon. Sounds great. Now I just gotta pick out a stand to go with it.

And yes originally I said 20 gallon max but that was until I saw the 29 gallon and how crazy cheap it was at the store. I knew that was a great price.

Last edited:
You may be able to build a stand for cheaper than the cost of buying one. or even pick something up at garage sale, etc. Just remember to figure out how much your tank will weigh full, 8 lbs per gallon. Roughly 240 pounds.

Got my 29 gallon for 29 dollars. Couldn't pass up the deal! Tomorrow clean it up and hopefully find stand , and add live sand and water and rock. Will post pics tomorrow of fw just for the time being and pics of start of reef if I get time to get it going after work. So excited. So next step after those is the equipment.
Anyone have suggestions for the following equipment items.....
Filter(s) not sure if I need 1 or more or different types
Heater
Lighting setup- currently no hood or top of any type.

Open to any suggestions :) as this is my first on my own sw reef build.

Got my 29 gallon for 29 dollars. Couldn't pass up the deal! Tomorrow clean it up and hopefully find stand , and add live sand and water and rock. Will post pics tomorrow of fw just for the time being and pics of start of reef if I get time to get it going after work. So excited. So next step after those is the equipment.
Anyone have suggestions for the following equipment items.....
Filter(s) not sure if I need 1 or more or different types
Heater
Lighting setup- currently no hood or top of any type.

Open to any suggestions :) as this is my first on my own sw reef build.

You may want to make a simple screen to fit the top of the tank or just go topless I think it will depend on your stock. Take your time on the nitrogen cycle and make sure it's complete before you start to add stock, you don't wanna kick off the nitrogen cycle with $40 treasure. As for the light I recommend the Taotronics 120 watt dimmable, obv I've got one and my corals love it. Filter is up to you, I've got a 300 gph on my 10g which may be way over kill but my tank is doing well and I've also got two Hydor Koralia 240 gph circulation fans that alternate between day and night. Don't forget the LR is your bio filter and the HOB is only for mechanical, if you're going to use a protien skimmer you may not need one, but they can help with flow. I've got the Fluval E50 heater for up to 15 gallons, but they make larger ones, you could prolly use the E100, but do some research. You're right at the phase where you're gonna need to practice your patience. See my signature...

So first fill up might be tonight...

I've heard multiple answers and would love some advice...
Should I fill with distilled or ro/di water?
Heard arguments for both and no definitive answer. Obviously everyone says tap water mostly bad for sw reef so none of that.

And how much lr and ls should I use for my tank?

So first fill up might be tonight...

I've heard multiple answers and would love some advice...
Should I fill with distilled or ro/di water?
Heard arguments for both and no definitive answer. Obviously everyone says tap water mostly bad for sw reef so none of that.

And how much lr and ls should I use for my tank?

Reverse Osmosis / Distilled water is basically the same, but some will argue that point. Definitely no Tap Water. 1-2 lbs of LR per gallon and 1 lbs LS per gallon. That should get you going. When I set my tank up I started with half my total rock so I could start to get an idea of what I wanted to do, so that's what I recommend. Look at the different pieces of LR and look for very textured rock maybe some with wholes in it. The wholes and texture give the BB a good place to develop as well as help with filtration by creating more surface area.

Picking up the last few items for my reef today. What rating of circulation pumps do I need for my 29 gallon tank.

Also what rating of hob mechanical filter should I get. Any suggestions. Specifics would be awesome.

Picking up the last few items for my reef today. What rating of circulation pumps do I need for my 29 gallon tank.

In my 30g I have a 550gph and a 250gph PH. An those along with the 2 hob filters works pretty well for me.

Also what rating of hob mechanical filter should I get. Any suggestions. Specifics would be awesome.

The filter should be rated for at least twice the size of he tank. On my 30g I have an ac70 and an ac30 going. The ac30 is only really there to keep seeded in case I need it for the QT tank.

Got almost everything for my new sw reef 29 gallon build. All I have left is the lighting setup. And a skimmer if needed but I'm not sure if I will need one. Posting pics now. My 2 fw tanks 10 gal an 5 gal. And then the empty 29 gal my new equipment and a sea of distilled water lol.

Attachments

• image-3893242968.jpg
    image-3893242968.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 180
  • image-420451639.jpg
    image-420451639.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 176
  • image-2748182113.jpg
    image-2748182113.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 175
  • image-1613878166.jpg
    image-1613878166.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 209
So I am officially setting up the tank tonight got permission from the landlord and I have almost all the equipment. All I need are circulation pumps and lighting/ hood. This will be a 29 gallon reef when it is done.

This is the equipment I'm using. Any suggestions about anything would be appreciated.

29 gallon tank- 30.3x12.5x18.8

Big metal stand made for 29 gallon aquariums

Instant ocean hydrometer

Aquasun aquarium controller power strip and timers

Aqueon 200 watt heater

Marineland power filter penguin 200

Kent marine reef salt mix

40 lbs of natures ocean bio acetic live aragonite reef sand- wont use it all

7 lbs of live rock- going to get more rock tonight

Hi all sounds good but i would if it was me swap our the hydrometer and get à ractometer as they are more accuarte and will pay more in the long run.( sorry about spelling). Cant wait to see your tank when its all set up. The most important advice i ever had was to take your time and enjoy the process. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom