Sheps 5 gallon sump build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nshepler

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So for whoever is interested I'm going to be building a 5 gallon sump for my nano. The budget is around 100 bucks. I've got the tank already and I ordered the eshopps nano over flow box today. So that's where I am so far. Next I will be ordering the return pump. So my question for that is I know the box can only handle 200 gph but does that mean the biggest pump I could get is up to 200 gph or could I go bigger and use a valve of some sort to restrict the flow? Another question I have is with the u tube return, where exactly does that connect? Does it connect to the over flow box or does it simply just hang on the back of the tank.
Just to give you guys an idea of the design I'm thinking of. I would like three small chambers, a chamber for water coming in/ my heater/ thermometer, a small fuge, and a section for the return pump. Also a small bubble trap somewhere if possible. If anyone has any ideas on sump design or any questions just let me know. Thanks for any ideas or advice in advance. It's always much appreciated.

Shep

The return pump can be bigger use a T to split the return with the extra flow goin to the sump this keeps the sump churning and does not restrict the pump
The extra flow can be used to run a reactor also.

The U shaped return line hangs on the back of the tank Drill a 1/8th hole in the return just under the water line this acts as a siphon break. You may want to use a 10 gl. more room.

Okay thanks. I thought about using a 10 but I have a 5 sitting around so I'd rather just use that. Possibly upgrade in the future.

When splitting the return do I pipe the extra back to the fuge?
Shep

thats a lot of flow it will work as long as you split the return My return is around 500 gph split into two and it seems fine in my 6 gl. with a 10 gl sump

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429293317.713698.jpg Will something like this work? And what do you think about a bubble trap,Is it needed in a setup this small or no?

Shep

Pretty complicated. I would just have one line coming in with the filter sock, then a divider into the fuge area, then a trap into the return section. Always use KIS when doing a project for your tank as too much going on will leave too many things to go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea I want to keep things simple but what about splitting my return?

Shep

I agree with Hank to much going on there. I use the extra flow from my return pump to churn the fuge. All the drain water goes into the socks.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429375015.750905.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429375036.234604.jpg I really like this design, I would do it on a smaller scale of coarse. I ran into another question though, what size piping do I use? Does the sumps small size matter? And should I create the baffles with acrylic or glass?

Shep

Sump size doesn't really matter, but bigger is always better. More water means mistakes aren't as serious. Ho-ray diluting!
That said, you don't have to put the baffling in there. The dividers in my sump are simple pieces of glass that I got cut for me at Lowes.
That design is simple. The refugium area is also your intake, so your filter sock would be on that line. Then divider and return pump.
When it comes to matching the return pump to the overflow, you basically want to know how many gallons per hour the overflow is. Then you get a return pump that is rated higher than the overflow. You then use a ball or gate valve to cut back the flow on the return side of the pump to match the overflow.

Got everything built and all plumbing installed. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your help. All I need now is the fuge light and some chaeto and Rock. How strong of a light do I need? I've heard of people using super high lighting and people using bulbs from Home Depot.

Shep

You only need a Home Depot Shop lamp.
Store SKU # 277894
HDX 150Watt Incadescnet Light, using 60-150w 6500k CFL light.

Yea I have a limited space for the light, I was thinking maybe a clip on led if I can find a strong one. Or I could use a power compact 13w I have.

Shep

Yea that's to expensive for lighting a fuge IMO. Could a power compact work? The fuge is only 6 inches deep.

Shep

It's pretty tight but my power compact isn't very big so I think it might work.

Shep

Back
Top Bottom