Skilter Filter ****BAD****

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlightRisk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all...First thing I would like to say is I'm new here and I've picked up some good tips, Thanks. Last week I ordered the Skilter 400, online, and I couldn't wait to install it. I came to this forum to do some searching *AFTER* I ordered the Skilter and found out the disappointing news...most of you users didn't like the Skilter.
So I thought maybe they just had a bad experance, so when the filter came in I installed it on my 30 gal tank. For the first 20 min or so, the Skimmer was doing its job, but after that nothing! I took it apart and reinstalled it, still nothing.
The main reason I purchased the filter is to save some money on a second unit, boy was I wrong. How can a company make a product like this? I think everyone who has bought the filter and feels the same way should contact them and demand that they fix the problem or replace them with a unit that does just what the box says it does.
I should of searched here first! My mistake :roll:

I'm sorry your disappointd with your Skilter. I have used them in the past and have been very pleased. When you said that the skimmer stop working after 20 min. What do you mean. Did it stop producing nasty brown bubbles or simply stopped producing bubbles altogether. IME, the little hose that feeds air into the skimmer will occasionally get wet and stop letting air through. Without the air, your skimmer will do nothing.

Do a search for skilter modifications, on google and on this site. There are a couple of mods that make it work decent ;)

:?

The mods that kevin mentioned should be able to get a bad experence into a somewhat satisfied experence.

add a air stone powered by a air pump of course in the chamber this is easy and will help alot

I have a skilter filter also. I have just replaced it with a Fluval 404 canister filter. My skilter filter never worked correctly. It would create bubbles but it never pulled any water up into the tray on top of the filter which is what I assumed it was supposed to do. So then you could remove the nasty water from the tank. Can you tell me is this what it is supposed to do and is not doing for you? I got mine used so I never got any instructions on it. I'm about to throw it away or just give it away.

not to post a "preachy" reply here but a few things need to be addressed with a skilter that noone has mentioned in the mods ive read.

1. A skilter fails because of 1 major setback. Dwell Time
the reason you wont pull a lot of stuff from your tank with a skilter is the shortness of the skimming tube.
2. The venturi on the stock skilter is inadequate and an upgraded pump or airstone will do wonders for it.

I plan to buy a skilter simply to test these ideas and im sure that after an extension of the reaction chamber on a skilter and upgraded flow/bubble rates it will change the stigma of using a skilter.

:wave:
I'm using a Prizm skimmer works (y) , just bought the ajustable
level attachment , is it better to skim center tank or near top for best results?
Thanks
:mrgreen:

aldo,

a lot of bacteria and "gunk" for lack of a better word are surface dwelling. As well as detritus on the dsb or sandbed. I would probably say near the center of the tank so theres no sides for obstruction when skimming.

theshrewtou said:
I have a skilter filter also. I have just replaced it with a Fluval 404 canister filter. My skilter filter never worked correctly. It would create bubbles but it never pulled any water up into the tray on top of the filter which is what I assumed it was supposed to do. So then you could remove the nasty water from the tank. Can you tell me is this what it is supposed to do and is not doing for you? I got mine used so I never got any instructions on it. I'm about to throw it away or just give it away.

A skimmer and a canister filter are two different things. The fluval canister filter will not do the same things a skimmer will. I have a fluval and I mainly use it for water movement and running carbon, thats about it. I also have a skimmer. I would suggest a CPR bak pak. I am getting up to 2 inches of brown junk water in the collection cup every other day or so. If your tank is new, you most likely won't see much happening in the collection cup b/c there really is nothing to pull out of the water. This is the fourth month on my tank and its reaslly starting to take out the gunk. I was getting little to nothing in the cup in the previous months. I was worried that it moight have been broken aslo, but its just a matter of time.

I also have a Skilter 250, My tank is new but I am still getting some "sediment" in the collection tray. If I have a problem, where do I look for the mods.?

The trash can, seriously. I tried to mod a skilter and its just such a horrible car wreck of engineering i use it to stir my makeup water. Thats all its good for. I did have it skimming but its just such a crap venturi aeration that i said screw it and diy'd a better one. If you want a mod that might work better then drop in an airstone down the reaction tube and hope for the best. OZ reef has skilter mods that you can try but dont hold your breath. Via Aqua has a new multi skimmer thats out, might wana look into that for the whole water flow/skimmer route. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom