some advice :) 1st time nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishjosh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright guys I've been looking up some info on nano tanks and I'd like to start my own. I'm no stranger to freshwater, but the salty seas are new to me. I'll have my 20G high tank here in about 2 weeks from back home in AZ. I'm planning on going FOWLR for the time being. Although, to be honest, eventually I believe I'll want some sort of coral or sponges in this nano. I've got 2 Hydor Koralia PHs and a better quality salinity refractometer than the cheap little clear plastic ones.

So the plan is to gather what I'll need and cycle the tank. Still a little unsure about what will and what will NOT work in my planned aquarium, but I'm working on that ;). One more thing though. While the tank is FOWLR, what supplements will I need to add regularly, and if I end up going reef with some corals, what sorts of additives will I need then. Ca, Sr, Iodine, and trace elements? I'd like to choose some species that are easier to care for and very hardy. Any suggestions would be great guys!

34 views and no suggestions? :(

The additives is something that is hard to really suggest what to use. It all depends on what type of water you use, etc. etc. If you have the proper amount of live rock and crushed coral for substrate you should be fine with most of the basics.

I dont add any supplements to my tank. Weekly or bi weekly PWC`s will add back anything that needs to be supplemented with maybe the exception of calcium. Some salt mixes dont have enough calcium and need supplementation. Mine has plenty and never have added supplements for over ten yrs now.

Alright here's a big update! Haven't been too active on here since I started searching for things, but here's what I've got so far:
img_969177_0_58d457fcd5f21723793ab2efd36cde8a.jpg

img_969177_1_d73262d46b323684b3b4e429689f160d.jpg

img_969177_2_6ffd541354ed8f6dad8001d0cd671af0.jpg

img_969177_3_a755350e58ac7346b4723c7e14c02583.jpg

And what are these little guys? There are ones that are even smaller and the size of a flea or something. I think they're some sort of pods?
img_969177_4_6606e4672c288e26e455b1a2bf0be72e.jpg

March 24th, 2009 UPDATE:

Ammonia = 0.25
Nitrite = 0.10
Nitrate = 2.5 (or the one below that - sucks being color blind
grlaugh.gif
)
pH = ~8.3
Alkalinity = 2.8-3.2 (a tad bit high according to my test kit slightly above the 'normal' range)
SG = 1.024

This is after 6 days of throwing some cured live rock in the tank.

Temperature stays at a consistent 79-80 during the day. Everything seem to be checking in okay?

March 25th, 2009 UPDATE:

Lighting fixture will be here tomorrow! Unfortunately Thursdays are my long days at school. I'll be gone at 8am and won't be home until 10pm!

But oh the glory when I get home!!

March 26, 2009 UPDATE:

The T-5HO lighting fixture came in today and I'm so happy with it so far! It looks great and is really quiet. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the moon light LEDs to work though... Anyone else have this model and wanna share a tip? I know they won't come on unless its dark. I tried flipping the switch for them in a dark room with no lights on and nothing happened. It must be child proof
grlaugh.gif

Chemistry update!

pH ~ 8.3
Alkalinity = 2.8-3.0
Nitrite = 0.1
Ammonia = 0.0-0.25 (its a little in between, but more towards the 0.0 value)
SG = 1.024
Nitrates = 10-20ppm

So these are my chemistry values as of tonight. I'll check 'em again in a couple days. I'm just excited for my cycle to get finished
biggrin.gif

I haven't given the fish list too much thought but I figure no more than 3 fish. I have to have a false percula, but haven't given thought to the other 2 fish. A goby of some sort and maybe a firefish?

Back
Top Bottom