Started a 20 gal long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefman123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm two weeks into cycling my tank with live rock & live sand

I have a aqua c remora nano skimmer but won't skim anythig it's been two weeks what can I do?

I have a 20 gallon long and u really don't need a skimmer if that helps..

Attachments

• image-401777098.jpg
    image-401777098.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 170
Theres' prob not much to skim as it is cycling. :) I agree, a skimmer isnt an absolute must but since you have it use it. it also takes about 2 weeks to break in a skimmer. :)

Imo you don't really need to skim till it cycles your takeing out the stuff that your tank needs to grow your benifical bacteria.

scubasteve03 said:
Imo you don't really need to skim till it cycles your takeing out the stuff that your tank needs to grow your benifical bacteria.

I've gotta say I'm new to this whole forum thing and it's really nice how people are willing to share there knowledge with total strangers :) thanks for the info!!

Oh another thing I saw this weird worm looking thing kinda pinkish with spiky things on the side ... What is it!!??
It looks evil !!

I've gotta say I'm new to this whole forum thing and it's really nice how people are willing to share there knowledge with total strangers :) thanks for the info!!

Oh another thing I saw this weird worm looking thing kinda pinkish with spiky things on the side ... What is it!!??
It looks evil !!

Bristle Worm. In moderation they are a good thing. Just becareful not to touch him. Not a huge deal but from what I am told, you would hurt for a couple hours.

carey said:
Theres' prob not much to skim as it is cycling. :) I agree, a skimmer isnt an absolute must but since you have it use it. it also takes about 2 weeks to break in a skimmer. :)

Carey u are everywhere on this forum must be very popular!!
I wanna ask what type of a cleaning crew would u recommend getting?
I'm on my third week cycling. Half of the tank I used the pre mixed salt water I bought hopefully it will speed up the process, ammonia, nitrite , nitrate all zero
Or should I wait longer?
Or maybe I could get a fish or two also!? :)

Did you get any spike ever of ammonia or anything else? if not you might have to introduce an ammonia source tostart the cycle.

carey said:
Did you get any spike ever of ammonia or anything else? if not you might have to introduce an ammonia source tostart the cycle.

Will adding shrimp crabs or other cleaners
Start it? Or should I add a fish ? I heard some people add uncooked shrimp?

No torturing fish allowed! LOL

Seriously though, cycling with fishin kinda mean and cruel. I so prefer the "newer" ways to tod it. You can see exactly where youre at and don't have to do constant water changes as you would if you cycled with fish in order to keep them from dying of amonnia poisoning.

carey said:
No torturing fish allowed! LOL

Seriously though, cycling with fishin kinda mean and cruel. I so prefer the "newer" ways to tod it. You can see exactly where youre at and don't have to do constant water changes as you would if you cycled with fish in order to keep them from dying of amonnia poisoning.

Does this mean I should wait to get my shrimp, crab snail until the ammonia cycle is finished? Or is this a stupid question lol
(I thought maybe the cleaning crew would be more tolerable)

I know it;s hard but patience is the biggest thing you need to learn in saltwater. You are always waiting for something it seems. lol

You'll get there though then the real fun begins.
:)

Durango I see in ur pic u have led's for ur 20g I just started cycling one yesterday. I was wodering where u got ur lights and for how much if you don't mind. :-$ and by the way your tank looks great

carey said:
I know it;s hard but patience is the biggest thing you need to learn in saltwater. You are always waiting for something it seems. lol

You'll get there though then the real fun begins.
:)

I just found a tiny bug crawling on my live rock what is it?

Back
Top Bottom