Started my tank! :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
i went to petsmart and walmart today and picked up the supplies i needed to start my tank.

specs:
- 2 gallon hexagonal tank
- 2-3ish pounds of sand
- tetra 50 watt heater
- aqua-tech HOB filter (100 gph)
- some aquarium light from walmart (will be getting a reef light soon)

here are some pics:

from above:
img_1233341_0_5c0beb2b2548d461066048ab5d714741.jpg

front view with lights off in room (picture will not rotate, idk why):
img_1233341_1_9f484f3618e07eab510b07b2aa4a7a8b.jpg

front view with lights on in room:
img_1233341_2_c175f86e00df18abc9211e16e62f6794.jpg

petsmart doesnt sell live rock but i found a LFS near me that hopefully sells it, i will be going there tomorrow.

if the live rock is cured could i also get some invertebrates tomorrow? and if i can what kind should i look for?

no. you shouldn't buy any livestock until you are sure you aren't going to kill them. that would require you to purchase ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate test kits and check the water periodically throughout the week. you are looking for any ammonia and nitrite. if any is detected, the tank is not safe for livestock of any kind.

no. you shouldn't buy any livestock until you are sure you aren't going to kill them. that would require you to purchase ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate test kits and check the water periodically throughout the week. you are looking for any ammonia and nitrite. if any is detected, the tank is not safe for livestock of any kind.

okay, i called the place and the live rock is cured witch helps. do you think i have to much sand in there?

no. not too much. what livestock are you putting in there eventually? a hex is a very hard tank to make a reef out of. i would just keep this a fish only tank and get used to the maintenance, then when you are ready to go reef, get a different tank. something with a better footprint.

hexs are definitely hard to get things like placement, flow, and light well in.

all in all a great start, be sure to do a complete cycle, and the sand looks fine to me!

my plan for scapeing the tank is getting a 2-3 pound chuck of live rock and have it go straight up the middle. i dont plan on adding any corals for a while (if ever for that matter) my plan for animals is maybe a sexy shrimp, some snails, and a crab? what do you guys think of putting a small gobby in there? ive read you can and ive read you cant.

most people on here will tell you no, but it certainly depends on the fish, a small clown goby who perchs a lot and doesnt swim much seems like a good fit if you wanted one.

im not sure of many crabs that could go well besides an emerald, maybe a pom pom crab would do okay

sexy shrimp are definitely an option though, and very cool to watch them do their little dance :)

oh and i forgot the popcorn! :popcorn: there we go!

wow, i cant believe myself, i just set up my tank and im already looking at prices for a 10 gallon....

take the betta and put him in the pico, and use the 20 as a FOWLR!

no, i have a 6 female bettas in there and the cost to make the 20 a FOWLR will be a tad too expensive for my wallet ATM

every gallon you add will make the tank that much easier to maintain. the more water volume, the less fluctuation you will have, and more stable the tank will be. also, more livestock options are available, the larger you go.
is it worth it to upgrade? that's up to you.

every gallon you add will make the tank that much easier to maintain. the more water volume, the less fluctuation you will have, and more stable the tank will be. also, more livestock options are available, the larger you go.
is it worth it to upgrade? that's up to you.

i mean would my livestock options be greatly increased, in your opinion would it be worth it?

which tank would you use also?

out of the two i would take the bookshelf aquarium. i like the footprint better.
no. the options wouldn't be greatly increased.

out of the two i would take the bookshelf aquarium. i like the footprint better.
no. the options wouldn't be greatly increased.

so you dont think id be worth the extra 50ish bucks?

i think i will just get this tank started and established for a while then upgrade later

I would just stay with what you have and see how you like it. Down the road you can upgrade to something bigger and just move over the rock to the new tank. For such a small tank I don't expect there to be a long cycle but I would definitely wait till your parameters are stable.

Back
Top Bottom