Starting 40 gallon reef help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazytanks22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm planning on starting up a 50 gallon reef. What supplies would I need?? Please help.

Loads of things! First you need to decide what type of filtration you wish to use and there are many ways to run it. I think using a sump is a good idea because it adds water volume to the system and is a good place for hiding all your equipment out of the display. You can of course use a hob filter or just a skimmer, up to you. There will be many people to help you which way you decide. I would recommend a protein skimmer on that sized tank, you will also need a couple of powerheads for flow, a heater and lighting. For a reef be prepared to drop some serious cash on lighting. You will also need to look at test kits and a refractometer for measuring salinity. Investing in a rodi system for making water I think is essential for a reef tank (no tap water here) of course then you are looking at sand (if you like) and rocks, try and aim for 1 to 2 pounds per gallon. Most importantly do plenty of research!

Back
Top Bottom