Starting a 10g Nano Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burgo345

Aquarium Advice Activist
Starting a 10g Nano Reef ( Just a cheap 10g from Petco)

I have a Marineland 150 for a filter

Hydor Koralia Nano 425 powerhead

I have multiple heaters to use I just have to pick one

Do I really need a protein skimmer?

What I really need is a few suggestions on lighting. Looking for a cheaper route if possible.

I plan on getting live sand.

How much rock do you suggest for a 10g?

Thanks in Advance for your help!

For a 10g no you dont need a skimmer, you just have to do your weekly water changes to keep the tank healthy. :)

Live sand is ok but really not needed. I bought a bag once only because I wanted the pink fiji color.

I would go for 15 lbs of rock total. You can get 10 of dry base rock at about $2-$3 a lb and then get 5 lbs of live at the inflated prices the lfs charge. lol This will make your cycle go quicker plus it can bring coralline and other nice hitchhikers into your tank.

Does anyone have a 14g Biocube? I found a place to get one for $150 bucks might be worth just buying that than getting the lights and stuff for just the 10 gallon.

If the biocube is in good shape i would say yes, it will be cheaper in the long run. You wont be able to keep the harder corals though with the stock cube light, but can keep most of the easy soft corals like zooanthids and leathers...

I would go for the bio cube. You can upgrade the lighting in it if needed.

I just started my 10g tank from nothing and have $300+ in it, so yeah the biocube may be the way to go. However I spend $40 on the filter, $11 for the tank (petco $1 gallon sale), $20 for a heater and bought a glass top for $20 (no longer using). So that takes away $90 of expenses right there. The Fiji Pink Live Sand was $35, and I put 10 or 12 pounds of Live Rock in there which cost quite a bit, I think it was $5 a pound or something like that. For my lights I bought a Oddysea T5 HO 20" they look good but not the safest option for the 10g tank because it is the exact size so it just sits on the top and doesn't hold onto anything so it is a risk of falling into the water. I created a wood thing to keep my lights from falling.

Back
Top Bottom