Starting off with 5.5g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Und3rthri11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want two fish and an anemone and/or coral. What do you guys suggest? I was thinking a pair of oce. clowns and a bubble tip anemone. Can I possibly fit some coral in? Any advice is appreciated.

Set-up (as-is):
Marineland Biowheel 100 (100g/hr)
Coralife 18w (9w 10k, 9w act)
25w heater
6lbs live rock
5lbs live sand

I want two fish and an anemone and/or coral. What do you guys suggest? I was thinking a pair of oce. clowns and a bubble tip anemone. Can I possibly fit some coral in? Any advice is appreciated.

Set-up (as-is):
Marineland Biowheel 100 (100g/hr)
Coralife 18w (9w 10k, 9w act)
25w heater
6lbs live rock
5lbs live sand
Couple things I see wrong here :)
1st a 5 will be to small for a pair of clowns(actually all clowns will out grow a 5) , you may wish to look into a goby or just inverts. One thing to think about is that with your LR and LS corals and such your total water volume quickly drops when all is said and done you will have around 3-4 gallons water volume
as to the Anenome they need a well established tank and will quickly (and I meany quickly ) out grow a 5 if it survives , they have poor survival rates and it is usually due to not "filling" its requirements . An anenmome will walk till it is happy and can sting the crap out of your other corals ,it is also not 100% that a clown will host an anenome either :)
On to the equipment list Filter is ok just loose the bio wheels they eventually become nitrAte , Phosphate factories ....
Heater may wish to go to a 50 watt it will work less to keep the water temp where you want it ...Back to the filter you may beable to house your heater there as well tho you may need to dremel the top to fit the cord to the heater :)
Also you may need a power head for extra water movement and to keep the ditrus suspended in the water column for the filter to pick up ....
Lighting will be fine for LPS , zoas ,and shrooms but not enough for an anenome ....
To your list you may wish to add a fan to kee the water stedy with the heater I know it sounds cleiche but ....it will help keep the lights cool and the temp stable , you will need to top off more tho with a fan...

Last edited:
Well. That answers that. What about firefish or possibly a bangai cardinal? I know some species of the fires only get to about 2 inches. What are my choices within the zoa family for something very colorful. Where does tentacled plate coral fall?

Plates can move as well , they are ime difficult to keep especially the long tenicles ... You could put one fire fish in but again you would be maxed bioload wise with that ... As for the cardinal they tend to be a schooling fish of 3 or more so that is out .. try looking here http://liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124 for the nano gobies some are quite commical and quite gorgeous and the catalina requires a cold water nano something that is a bit hard to acheave with out a chiller .... The more colorful zoas tend to need a bit stronger light ...
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13637&pcatid=13637
There is a dual 18 watt light there for around 80 bucks ....That would fit a 5 gallon nicely and would up your choices of zoas and corals , it would still not be enough for an anenome tho....

Got a killer deal on a green bubble tip. The LFS who sold me everything in my set-up said he would do just fine. So I got him and a scarlett hc and a blue-leg hc. Getting a Oce. Clown or maybe b&w next week...and possibly a purple firefish.

Slow down you are going to fast .... The lfs just made money on you .....I have found that even with a good pet store NEVER listen to thier advice .....They have to make sales , that is their lively hood .That is what these boards are good for we have nothing at stake and need to push a sale ...He is right that it will do fine ...................for a short period, but long term is sucess is not likely...I really think that you are headed for a crash ,,,long term success does not come over nite .... Set up your tank , cycle it the only things that should be in your tank right now is :
Live Sand or sand
Live rock (this is a must)
Salt water
sit back and wait , your cycle is under way ....
Here is how your cycle will look
Ammonia will rise and fall to 0 . Ammonia is the most toxic to fish and will burn gills.
NitrItes will rise and fall to 0. NitrItes are the biproduct of ammonia less toxic but toxic none the less .
NitrAtes will rise and fall you will then do a water change at this point to drop them to lower than 20 .... This is the biproduct of the Ammonia breaking down to NitrItes, NitrItes then go to NitrAtes it is still toxic but less so than ammonia or nitrItes ...
Ph should be steady at 8.2-8.4 will be higher with the cycle of lights .
Spg should be at 1,024-1.026
Temp should not have huge swings and be at around 77*-80*
The cycle can take any where from 2-6 weeks to complete ...No fish are needed to cycle die off from the LR is enough to kick start it if not add a table shrimp (unseasoned ) All you need is die off to start it .
Once complete you can add a CUC to help with the algea that will be there (also a biproduct of excess nutrients and the cycle )
You are headed for a crash and I dont want to see that happen ... I have been where you are I wanted it and I wanted it NOW trust me it doesnt work like that . I advise you to keep all reciepts and log them to see what kind of money pit this can turn into if you have a crash..I can see you becoming fustrated or even broke trying to "fix" the broken tank that could have been prevented from the get go ... You ask for advice but ignored what was given ... I dont want to see you think this hobby sucks due to failure ....But you are moving far to fast to have long term sucess , short term perhaps but long term not at the rate you are moving ...Please dont make the same newbie mistakes I made , these boards and folks teach from experience of what works and what doesnt ...

WOW...Sadielynn offers some very good advice. It would appear to me that you are not really starting out on the right foot. Your tank is far too young for any livestock. Have you experienced a cycle yet? I am afraid that any livestock in your tank now is in grave danger. My suggestion would be to bring all livestock back to the LFS and allow your tank to cycle naturally and properly. Nothing happens fast in this hobby. As far as fish selection goes...you are pretty limited. Maybe one small o. clown and perhaps a small clown goby. That is about all I would consider for a tank of this size. It is not too late to get things done the right way. Just put the breaks on research, research, research while your tank is cycling. As Sadie mentioned...do not rely on your LFS for advice. They have proven to give some poor advice already. Keep bringing your questions here. Good luck.

I do thank you very much for the advice. The tank cycled for 2 weeks and is perfectly healthy. I tested and the LFS tested my water as well to make sure all was well. Got the Anemone and it is very happy. Added a oce. clown today. I have friends and family who have been in the hobby for 20+ years and agree that I am pushing it, but with the proper care I will be safe. I'm gonna let it sit as is for now and make sure I can keep these little guys alive.

Tank is at 0 Amm, 0 Nitrites, and less than 10 Nitrates(about 6-7) but still dropping. Algae is minimal. Temp is a steady 78-79* depending on night and day. SPG is and has been 1.023 since I started.

I have tested and re-tested and taken all the precautionary measures to prevent a crash. I will keep you guys updated weekly, if not daily.

I also have a couple small white feathers that have shown up in the past couple of days and they are out all the time.

Two last questions...

Would I be over the safe limit to add one more fish(to a total of 2)? I was thinking about a purple firefish or a goby to the sort. What about 1-2 mushrooms?

No more fish you are maxed out . And for the mushrooms you could add them but be prepaired to remove them or have them be stung by the anenome ....
You are moving toooooo fast and a crash is likely ... If that anenome dies it will nuke a 5.5 gallon ...Remember that with the sand and rock you have about 1-2 gallons (perhaps more ) H20 displacement making your total H20 volume around 3-4 gallons .

How did you cycle your tank? A two week cycle is pretty fast and I wonder if your tank actually expereinced a full cycle. Keep an eye on water paramters. I suggest your next purchase be a basic SW test kit. Do not rely on the LFS for testing our water. I still think you are asking for trouble with the anemone in your tank so early on. Sorry to be bearer of bad news...but I just think things may be heading down hill. Once again...slow down. Seriously, refrain from adding ANY livestock and let your tank settle down a bit.

I used Cured LR and Bio-spira. Like I said, I personally have tested my water and I use the same Master kit the that everyone else I know uses. The ones I have used are all reading the same. And also, I test every other day at this point to make sure everything is well. No more fish for me and the mushrooms won't come until the anemone decides on a spot and sticks to it. Everything is doing awesome. The clown seems to love the tank. The anemone is open about 85% of the day. I'm done adding for now. I don't see a crash as long as I continue monitoring, but if it does happen you guys can post I told you so as many times as you want. Once again, thanks for the advice!

The cured LR will certainly help the tank cycle but the bio-spira really does nothing to prepare the tank for long-term habbitation. It is a gimic product and a waste of money for a new tank. That said...just keep up on the testing and cut back to very light feedings every other day until you know how your tank will react. Good luck.

Clowns (as most aquarium fish) will eat bloodworms. I would refrain from feeding it as a primary food as it lacks a lot of nutritional value. It can be used as a suppliment or fill-n, but not as the primary food.

Thats just it I dont want to say I told you so .
See I have been where you sit , and lost alot of stuff , it is the hardest thing to flush a $20 fish ... I made some really bad mistakes and forged ahead like there was no problem doing so, and in 3 months(give or take) I had spent nearly 2 grand , we are by no means rich far from , we struggle every day but then I had a bit of an enlightenment ...........the reciepts I sat down add it all up and cried , my husband made me take the tank down till I could fullfill the minimum requirements of the tank and told me that if we were to continue on the path that we were on that he would make me give up the tank ... That is where the brakes were applied ... I tore it all down every thing went to storage , he then a few weeks later (2-3 months) said to me that I could set u pthe tank with LR and sand but nothing else , it had to sit there for 2 months with out even a light on it the only thing I was allowed to do to it was top it off and change out H20 ,it pained me to see it there and to see all those GREAT AND AWSOME TANKS and mine failed I was quickly hating this hobby and resenting the failure that I faced .... But I did what I had to , I joined many sites read and learned and applied the failures of others , Dont get me wrong I am not a pro at this at all and still am learning , I would be a liar if I said there are times where it is perfect sailing and I know it all ... but in truth I am learning every day and every time that I sign on to the computer ... My most reasent failure is that I could not keep zoas , FAIL I had no idea why I tested every perameter bought test kits but NADA turns out I had a crab that was eating them ..... now when I want something I must evaluate the consiquences it will have on the tank and every thing has a consiquence when added as it adds to your ecosystem ..... wether it is positive or negative everything has a response to it...take it from some one who has been there we do NOT want to see you fail but have seen it many times over with mistakes such as these ,,, if the anenome dies the pet store will likely say but it was healthy ....Was it ? Or was it that they sold it to some one who was unsuspecting?
It is hard to admit that we are wrong upon the advice of some one who is on the other side of the keyboard , but many sites would have bashed you for an innocent mistake .......trusting the LFS ....I wish you well and would love to see sucess but knwo that with an anenome it will be difficult at best .... the other thing is that anenomes even if they have "planted " thier foot for a period that in and of its self doesnt mean he wont get irritated and move , just some food for though ....

Well, I've had the Anemone for about a month or so now(maybe a little longer) and the Anemone is doing great and growing...as is everything else in the tank. And please don't leave comments on here like I don't look at this. It's not "He" doesn't, it's "Hey, you don't...". Thanks guys.

just loose the bio wheels they eventually become nitrAte , Phosphate factories ....

I don't think the biowheel itself would become a nitrate,Phospate factory. It is the filter pads that are housed in the biowheel setup that collect the waste creating Nitrates. So if you run it without the filterpads and just keep some live rock rubble it very well could be beneficial. Just my opinion. And I do agree with the previous posts this tank is too small for any saltwater setup really Saltwater is a much more complex thing to master than freshwater and The NanoReefs are definately for the experienced aquarist.

I have been running the BioWheel for about a month and a half now. Every perameter is perfect and the nitrates are minimal(@ about 2-5 ppm). I am completely satisfied with my set-up. Anyone know anything about Banggai Cardinalfish. I would love to have 2, but I don't want them spawning if the fry will not live. Will they get sucked into the filter?

I don't think the biowheel itself would become a nitrate,Phospate factory. It is the filter pads that are housed in the biowheel setup that collect the waste creating Nitrates. So if you run it without the filterpads and just keep some live rock rubble it very well could be beneficial. Just my opinion. And I do agree with the previous posts this tank is too small for any saltwater setup really Saltwater is a much more complex thing to master than freshwater and The NanoReefs are definately for the experienced aquarist.
Wrong they are nitrAte /phosphate factories , while you should be changing out your filter pad monthly at very least if you have issues with those 2 perameters take it off and do a water change you will see them fall or start to fall ... I have experienced this first hand .. LR rubble is a 50/50 in a nano as you want the best water polish you can get and sometimes it is just not practical to run rubble ... some one on another site had issues even with the rubble .. I can only tell you from experince what has happened to me . Others will also back me up on this and the bio balls/rings ...
Und, glad to hear things are going for you .I wish you continued success. But am unable to offer futher advice as chance are you will not take to heart what is said , read over the other posts I already addressed this question about your banggai's earlier

Back
Top Bottom