Steves led for rsm 130d

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acolaojr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was thinking of purchasing the retrofit led kit from Steve's led or modular led.com for my rsm 130d. But I can't seem to find any picks with either system does anyone have pics? Or suggestions not really feeling the rapids because they require you to do in house soldering and such. Thanks in advance.

I've got the ModularLED on my RSM130D from a bit over a year ago. I have some pics I can post but . . .

I just installed a StevesLED in my 12g Nanocube here in my office and I have to say... I wish I had gone with StevesLED on my RSM as well.. the install was so simple and quick I was shocked. One thing to know is that this tank already had a DIY LED unit so some of the steps ( like making holes for dimmer knobs etc) were already done. I went with the 95 complete kit (well worth the $$) and am THRILLED with it.

I don't think you would go wrong with either system but the StevesLED was by far quicker, easier, and even a tab cheaper per gallon if memory serves me correctly. I also am pleased with the intensity and color from the "standard" StevesLED kit. I didn't change a single diode from what Jeff @ StevesLED suggested and am glad I didn't.

This is my first post here so I apologize if I stepped on any toes etc. I saw StevesLED and went to this thread first :)

Thanks for the info, I was talking to someone else who went with Steve's LEDs and I think I'm going that way. Did you install a controller with the LEDs?

Thanks for the info, I was talking to someone else who went with Steve's LEDs and I think I'm going that way. Did you install a controller with the LEDs?

I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

I went with the BoostLED Typhoon controller. It was an after thought so I didn't get it installed with the LED. It's actually sitting here on my desk waiting for me to install it. I hope to get it installed this weekend. We're actually having a detailed discussion about this install on my home forum at this moment. Another member is installing this in his RSM250 and hopefully we'll be able to learn as he goes through it today and tonight. He's supposed to take pictures all along the way and he also is installing the "Typhoon" controller.

I hope that helps some :)

To be completely honest I'm not sure what the controller does? I'm reading it controls dawn to dusk? Does that mean it controls the dimmers to slowly increase the light until your max? And then slowly back down instead of using the stock timer to just turn on at a specific time. Thanks for the feed back any information I can get on this does help.

Ok question I purchased the led kit. I have zoas about 6 " from the top of the tank. Will I need to lower them do to to much light? I also have read to start with using just 50% of strength at first and acclimate over a period of several months to full strength. Does this go for both the white and the royal blue?

I would start at a lower %. Since the tank I installed these already had LED I started at 50% and am now up to 80%.

My RSM130D that I added LED from factory bulbs I started at 20% (mixture of softies, LPS and SPS) and worked my way up to 85% over a period of a few months (apprx 5% week).

Slower is safer and YES Whites and Blues. Both are "Intense" light compared to the factory lights you just replaced.

Did you get a chance to install that controller yet? Curious to know how complicated that install is?

Back
Top Bottom