Steve's vs. Rapid LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dirk33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
Has anyone outfitted their nano tanks with a kit from either of these companies? Or perhaps a different company altogether.
I have a 29g biocube that gets really warm, 83 degrees+, with the stock lighting.
I've been looking in to both of these LED kits to try to keep temps down and was wondering if anyone could provide some reviews.
Both seem like pretty decent kits for the money but are different enough to make the decision difficult.
I'm leaning towards the Steves kit because I have the Coralife biocube and the Rapid LED kit is designed around the Oceanic kit. Steve's provides options for both versions. I talked to a rep at Rapid and I do think I could get the kit to work however.

Anywho, anyone have experience with these??
Thanks
D

Dirk, there is a thread from Starcher in July that shows a Steve's led install from start to finish. I'm not sure how else to find it other than the user name of the person that started it.

As I said Starcher was the user and it was in July.

For the price of those, I'd do 1 AI SOL BLUE. You throw in the controller and you have a nice timer that will mimic sunrise to sunset to moonlight to darkness and just for your viewing pleasure you can even setup the lightening effect.

For the price of those, I'd do 1 AI SOL BLUE. You throw in the controller and you have a nice timer that will mimic sunrise to sunset to moonlight to darkness and just for your viewing pleasure you can even setup the lightening effect.

Convict,
I think your setup looks great but I don't think it's for me. I like the idea that these kits go in to the hood with little or no modifications to the hood.
It's also $400.00 compared to $250.00. It is a great looking setup though so I won't completely rule it out.
Thanks

dirk33 said:
Convict,
I think your setup looks great but I don't think it's for me. I like the idea that these kits go in to the hood with little or no modifications to the hood.
It's also $400.00 compared to $250.00. It is a great looking setup though so I won't completely rule it out.
Thanks

Thank you. I've heard amazing things about Stevie's LED DIY kit on some other reef forums. They seem to really like them. I haven't heard anything about Rapid, not saying there bad just haven't heard feed back on them.

Many guys in the reef forums have used Stevie's kit and are happy.

Just chiming in again here..... They do have black out kits for the AI Sol fixtures if u don't like the aluminum look heatsink.

I have the same reservations about the "poking out heatsink" but what keeps me interested is the controller. Steve's will have knob dimmers.... Rapid does have a programmable controller but no fancy led display just a remote control.

Both Steve's and rapid should be able to be controlled by a reef keeper if that is a planned upgrade later.

lennonlh said:
Just chiming in again here..... They do have black out kits for the AI Sol fixtures if u don't like the aluminum look heatsink.

I have the same reservations about the "poking out heatsink" but what keeps me interested is the controller. Steve's will have knob dimmers.... Rapid does have a programmable controller but no fancy led display just a remote control.

Both Steve's and rapid should be able to be controlled by a reef keeper if that is a planned upgrade later.

You've peeked my interest about this black out kit. Where can I find it. On there site?

Convict

If u go to the main site in the top right corner is a "shop" link. Once u get there look to the right and there's a black conversion kit for a c-note.

Oh la la

Dirk,
Have you looked at current USA true lumen nano kits or ecoxotic stunner strips?

No controllers but you can get dimmers and use good old fashioned timers

Both have 12"strips that will retro into the hood w/out mods.

Back
Top Bottom