Stock options???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys i am a freshwater guy, but I am going to be picking up a 24g nano tank and was wondering what kinda fish I should start my research. Most fish I have seen grow much to big for 24g tank. I know clown fish stay small but what other peaceful fish could I look into? Thanks guys

I know a few simi aggressive fish that are very pretty. Opaline gouramis are pretty and change their color patterns. Tiger barbs and red glass tetras are nice too. Pictus catfish are also very pretty.

As for non aggressive I would go with guppies swordtails, mollies. You have to have a Cory cat or two and a pleco. I you can find them don't hesitate to buy kuhli loaches. They are hard to come by so if you see them you better get a pair or three.

I know a few simi aggressive fish that are very pretty. Opaline gouramis are pretty and change their color patterns. Tiger barbs and red glass tetras are nice too. Pictus catfish are also very pretty.

As for non aggressive I would go with guppies swordtails, mollies. You have to have a Cory cat or two and a pleco. I you can find them don't hesitate to buy kuhli loaches. They are hard to come by so if you see them you better get a pair or three.

This is a saltwater tank;). This forum gets confusing. It's ok.

Since you are going to have a smaller tank you won't be able to add too much fish in there. With that in mind I recommend getting designer clownfish like Picasso, snowflake, Wyoming or platinum. Regular ocellaris and true percs are good too but when you invest $500+ into a setup of a 24 gallon with sand and live rock you want some character in it.
Then add a cherub angel and a yellow watchman goby with pistol Shrimp. Fire shrimp is awesome too. That would pretty much max out your tank.
There are some flasher wrasses and fairy wrasses that could be ok but in my opinion they need more swimming room. Thats the reason I never got one for my 27 gallon cube.

Yea I am beginning to see just how much of an investment a saltwater tank is!! The live rocks and sand alone are looking to exceed the price of the entire stock, substrate, and decor of my 55g freshwater tank! Thanks for the suggestions guys. I know a 24 gallon pretty small and restricting but I don't have the funds to dive into a 125g like I want just yet! :(

I got a 29 gal cube and I personally think there's lots u can get. Clowns are cool no matter what kind u get. Firefish, clown gobies, yellow watchman with a pistol shrimp. Blood or a skunk cleaner shrimp. Bangai or pajama cardinal, maybe a mandarin down the line if u do a fuge and once the tank gets established. Might be able to do a flame angel but u would be taking a chance with ur corals. Dotty back or a royal gamma. Just go to any of the big online fish stores and look in the nano section. But I gotta say the watchman and shrimp combo is one of the coolest to see interact.

+1 on watchman/pistol shrimp. Amazing to watch.
Only dottyback I would consider is Orchid (Fridmani). May be Springeri Dottyback. Orchid coloring is amazing. Arabian (Neon) and the rest of the dottys can be mean.
Flame Angel will get big for a 24 gallon in my opinion. I have a cherub pygmy angel and the guy looks so good. He's small enough and bio load is very small. No issues with my sps/lps corals. I keep him well fed.
If you get a watchman goby I would skip clown gobies. They are also passive swimmers. Will just perch on a rock or glass.
I would look into a Pygmy Yellow Banded Wrasse or White Banded Wrasse. The more rock and hiding places you have the more they will come out.

Clowns and in 6 months an anemone. It's something you never see in fresh. Salt water Cleaner shrimp and even the snails are entertaining! I love my nassarius snails. I have found the corals to be the most addicting, You can put plenty in a nano, I have a 30 gal.

Yea I am looking into the watchmen and clowns. Thanks guys. And yea I are more looking forward to the reef construction more than anything. Is there anything a saltwater noob should stay clear of as far as corals and other reef inhabitants?

Only coral I'd say stay away from is gonioporas or flowerpots. They are beautiful but 90% of the time they die for no reason and they tend to be on the higher end in price.

Back
Top Bottom