Stocking a 29g Bio Cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkprincess

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok well that's what I was getting at. No anemones for awhile. When can I add hard corals?

Or can I with a bi color Angel...

Last edited by a moderator:
Chances are the angel will nip at the corals. Some people go long periods of time without their angels nipping but it seems like it happens eventually to all of them. :-(

Dang it. My tank looks so bare with nothing but live rock...feather dusters maybe?

It's a hurry up and wait game, it took me three weeks to add my cuc to my nano. It looks bare and will drive you insane, but the rewards are well worth it. What are your plans? What did you want to add? What filtration and lighting do you have?

ForumRunner_20120420_203459.jpg

29 gallon biocube. I would like to do some corals, but I don't want anything difficult. I don't want to mod my tank. I only want flame angels and a mandarin dragonette which I found out I may never get did to my uv Sterilizer. :(

Well with the flame angel, he will nip at your coral. He pretty but a pain. I would go with a tang or butterfly. With the mandarin, if you dose the tank with pods, About once every two weeks depending in your system, he will be just fine. Corals; I started with mushrooms, polyps, and a soft tree. That stuff is all very hardy and will tolerate (no offense) "beginner" water levels. Also once your system is established, I would recommend turning off the uv sterilized to just a couple days a week. It stops your pods from reproducing on their own. It really is a hurry up and wait game when it comes to sw. keep in mind, no two tanks are the same, so make sure you test your own water and learn what you need for your tank.

Jmkb02 said:
Well with the flame angel, he will nip at your coral. He pretty but a pain. I would go with a tang or butterfly. With the mandarin, if you dose the tank with pods, About once every two weeks depending in your system, he will be just fine. Corals; I started with mushrooms, polyps, and a soft tree. That stuff is all very hardy and will tolerate (no offense) "beginner" water levels. Also once your system is established, I would recommend turning off the uv sterilized to just a couple days a week. It stops your pods from reproducing on their own. It really is a hurry up and wait game when it comes to sw. keep in mind, no two tanks are the same, so make sure you test your own water and learn what you need for your tank.

You can not keep any tangs in a 29 nor would I recommend any butterflies..you are gonna be limited to nano fish for the most part

Jmkb02 said:

This is very good information, EXCEPT for the tangs and butterflys. Never put a tank or butterfly in a 29 gallon tank. They will develope ich and that will kill every other fish in the tank, dont do it.

I'm simply saying that it can be done. Hippo tangs are hard even with dosing marine bio and having a cleaner wrasse but I myself had a yellow tang that was all of and inch in my 30 gal before I put him into my 60. He's now healthy and full grown enjoying life in my new 125 gal reef. IMO you shouldn't put an inch long tang in a 60 gal established reef. My cleaner wrasse was twice the size of my yellow before I let him grow and put him into the bigger tank. This isn't permanent for the tang or butterflies, just a place holder for a few months.

Jmkb02 said:
I'm simply saying that it can be done. Hippo tangs are hard even with dosing marine bio and having a cleaner wrasse but I myself had a yellow tang that was all of and inch in my 30 gal before I put him into my 60. He's now healthy and full grown enjoying life in my new 125 gal reef. IMO you shouldn't put an inch long tang in a 60 gal established reef. My cleaner wrasse was twice the size of my yellow before I let him grow and put him into the bigger tank. This isn't permanent for the tang or butterflies, just a place holder for a few months.

I dont agree. What if OP doesnt want to upgrade? You said earlier that a tang would work, and didnt even mention the fact that it will need to be moved.

Small fish are still aware of a small tank. You will know when to move it to a larger tank when it gets ich, and by that time its too late.

That being said, why cant you put a small tang in an established reef? What is the problem with that provided it has proper tankmates?

Dont assume that the OP, or anyone that is recieving your advice has a 125 gallon reef tank. The fact is that a tang (the size is irrelevant) will not live a good life in a 30 gallon tank, much less a 29 gallon biocube that is shorter then the standard tank. I realize the video isnt yours, i still dislike the video.

Ok, to solve the problem with a tang in anything less then a 90 gallon tank, they require room to swim side-to-side. Simply put, a 30 gallon tank does not allow for enough swimming room for the fish to be happy in its environment. If you have questions about tank sizes for fish, look at liveaquaria.com. A yellow tang itself requires nothing less then 100 gallons. And remember, two wrongs don't make a right.

Tangs should never be added to a system with the intent of moving them to a bigger system once they get bigger. Honestly, most people don't have the money to upgrade once the fish needs a bigger tank, and Tangs simply need room to swim side-to-side.

Wow, first of all....
Calm down. I witnessed the yellow tang get pulverized by 6 out of 10 of its mates, for 3 days until his tail fin was 1/3 gone. I've done my research, I know my fish, and a tang will do just fine in a 30 gallon tank until he is about 3 or so inches.
Now since we are being politically correct on a forum, let me say that a 30 gal tank is not going to sustain a tang or butterfly or any other "non-nano" fish. If OP doesn't want to upgrade in the future, there are a great deal of Lfs that have no problem trading a fish. Mine has a great program that he does to help raise the smaller fish and then gives me more than I paid for him to buy them back.
That all being said, I'm glad that you guys are willing to jump down people throats, but I have personally done this several times and all of my fish have survived and are thriving. When you go to your Lfs, do you see the tang you want to buy swimming around in a 180 gallon tank??

Agree to disagree.

On that subject though, a great little goby and a pair of clowns will work great and will last years

Back
Top Bottom