Suggestions for biocube fish !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium_Guru

Aquarium Advice Freak
A biocube coralife is on the way and I already have a cycled 20 gal with live rock and two clownfish and planning to move that into the new biocube and add more sand.
So far I have seachem matrix as the media instead of bioballs and new sponges so pretty much it's a full filtration upgrade and also already have powerhead and thermometer.
Currently have two clown fish which are small and how many more fish can I add and what unique fish do you suggest?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That depends on the size of the biocube. The nano tanks are limited in terms of fish at times due to the size needed for so many saltwater fish. A goby would be a nice fit in many biocubes I think.

I had a Midas blenny! That was cool. I have a fairy wrasse and two perc. Clowns and a banghai Cardinal now. That's about it

Could get a skunk cleaner shrimp, and maybe a goby or a firefish? :)

Lots of fish to pick from! I've had a bunch in my biocube over the years. Chalk bass is a nice friendly fish. So are firefish which is nice since you have a hood so they cant jump. lol
Yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp combo. Royal gramma maybe. Clown goby of course, pretty small fish but very cute. :)

If it's a biocube 29, it's more like a 21 gallon. At least that's why my tank took with 40 lbs of sand and 35 lbs of rock.

My current stocking is:
-2 small clowns
- Algae blenny ***coolest fish... very outgoing and fun. Will stare you down
- Small spotted goby and pistol shrimp combo. Another fun pair... roommates that share a hideout together
- Cleaner shrimp
- 8 hermits and 8 snails

I think that's about all we are going to do for now. My wife is pushing for a dragonette... mandarin specifically. I want to wait 4-6 months for tank to establish and am skeptical if that fish will do well in such a small tank. Need to see if there's a way to source the micro organisms such a fish needs as apparently you need 75+ lbs of liverock to sustain them.

Other fish we considered were a Bangaii cardinal but heard they are kinda boring. We also looked at some of the various wrasses and other gobies (marker goby) as well. Some people will try small flame angel or cherub angel but they are hit and miss on whether they are reef safe.

There's about a 5% chance a mandarin will do well in a nano long term. Most of them will slowly starve.
Agreed on the cardinal...They remind me of a fresh water angel, and have a similar personality...lol.
I like green clown gobies. They are pretty cool looking and don't take much space.
Clown%20Goby%20Green%201765b.jpg

Ihad the same green clown goby and he was awesome! I will add that I had a mandarin in my biocube, BUT I had a refugium going, a ton of live rock jammed in there AND I Purchased an ORA mandarin. All this so I could train the fish to eat frozen food. IT took an obscene amount of work to keep it in there though, I had to feed several times a day, had over a dozen different frozen foods to go thru and the water quality was a nightmare. There was alot of to consider with that mandarin in such a small tank, if I had to do it over I wouldnt do it at all I don't think. I had my mandarin for a few years, was one of my fave fishes but I moved him one too many times and stressed him out. He died a few days after I moved him from my biocube to a 10g temporarily while my 60g cycled. :-( One of my biggest regrets in this hobby.

Sorry for the late replies I will look into your suggestions and thanks for the insight about the mandarin but here is my tank today

I went with a blue spotted jawfish

Nice choice with the jawfish! Love those guys, just cant make myself spend that much on a fish. they are over $100 around here. lol

Good luck with him!

Lol thanks it took a lot of thinking to spend 150

Keep a close eye on your BTA. The usual recommendation is 6 months after set up, to mature and stabilize the tank.

Back
Top Bottom