SW noob with a 29gal...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRDfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently purchased a regular 29gal tank and was going to raise some cichlids when i changed my mind and now wanting to start a FOWLR tank. I already have a HOB marineland emperor 280, 100w heater and a max jet 900. I understand the cycling process on a FW system and from my understanding its pretty much the same on SW ...but i have acouple of questions if any1 can steer me in the right direction

#1 would my hob filter be sufficient for acouple of fish (1-2 clowns, damsel,goby, cardinal) and acouple of crabs/snails/shrimp?? or do i need a refu/sump system??

#2 could i cycle the tank out with the equipment i have and NO reef lighting system??

#3 any thoughts on the marineland reef capable LED system?? my budget is about $175...max $200 for a lighting system

Thanx for any help any1 can give me :thanks:

BTW....i plan on getting some softies maybe a year or so down the line

Ok answers! LOL

#1- yes, the hang on back will be fine. You don't "need" a sump. I ran my 29g for awhile with only an aquaclear 50 on it
#2- Yes, you can cycle with no lights, they aren't needed
#3- I would steer clear of the marineland led's, I;ve heard alot of bad stories as far as bulbs burning out and they arent really "reef" capable

Here is a great option as far as lighting a 30" tank

30in 4Bulbs fixtures

Only $109. :)

I have the same exact fixture over my 20g and it's working out fine, I have a very large collection of corals growing under it including a clam.

Thanks for the help!!! i was looking through the forum and i notice quite a few people reffered to your 29g cube thread. I was trying to locate it but was unable to do so....whats the title on the thread??

One thing you want to research is damsels they can be little demons and difficult to get out. A pair of clowns will probably claim the whole 29 gallon tank as their territory. I have one little 6 month old clown that has claimed half of a 28 as its territory. It is tiny but will put my midas in its place.

thats what im starting to read about....i guess ill start off with a yellow tail bluedamsel then

Back
Top Bottom