Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2006, 09:02 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishturtles
Oh no. Hope everything is alright!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=88266

Old 10-17-2006, 03:11 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok...i think planted tank is recovering so back to thinking about this project...

is there any reason why i can not go with ~10 pounds of non-live rock, something porous like lava rock, and ~10 pounds of live rock?

the lava rock i would think would eventualy become LR, right? i would asumme that my cycle might be a little slower, but it is a way to cut cost...

ideas?
Old 10-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic

doing 50/50 dead and live rock should be ok. 20 lbs may be a bit much for tha tank though imho. I have 9 lbs right now, and am getting 9 more for my 10, it should look pretty full.

I would try and get pieces of a size and shape so that you can for the most part hide all the dead rock so that you will continue to have a nice looking 'live' tank while the dead rock becomes live.

If you can get fully cured LR for those 10 lbs, then you shoiuld still have next to no cycle, and if you start small on the bio-load, there should not be any problems at all.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:51 PM   #44
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Yep, you can do half and half.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:38 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok Substrate choices...
i already have
1) "play sand" a brown sand with various grain sizes
2) fine grained silica sand (finer then pool filter sand)

would either of these work, or would i be better off with a aggregate reef sand like THIS
Old 10-22-2006, 01:04 AM   #46
AA Team Emeritus

Either or, really. It's up to you. If it were up to me, I'd choose the Arag-Alive you linked to.

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:40 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishturtles
Either or, really. It's up to you. If it were up to me, I'd choose the Arag-Alive you linked to.
ok sounds good, i hope my local petco still has a couple bags in on monday..so i can get the sale! 2 bags sound good for a ten?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:12 AM   #48
AA Team Emeritus

Depends on how thick you want your sand bed.

One bag would probably get you 1-2 inches of sand depth. But, if you think you want more, just add in some of that brown(exactly how brown is it?) sand, instead of spending another $20. The sand you add underneath of it will become live anyways.

HTH

Old 02-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok time to get back to thinking about this project

i do not have the empty 10 anymore, it became the home for my Dwarf Puffers (FW), this tank is in our guest bedroom which my wife as decided to make a "Beach Theme" and would liek the puffers out and a reef tank in. so basicly that means NEW tank for me!!!

since it has to fit my wifes interior deco idea she will have imput on everything, but i ultimate make all final desission for that is best, and so i return to you all

a couple ideas on the tank... i think that i will try some simple "low-light" corals... so lighting help will be needed...

my wife realy likes the look of the Bio-cubes, how is the lighting for corals in there? will probabaly look at the 29 gallon model.

i am thinking live same and ofcourse live rock.

mostly an invert tank with one or two fish (maybe a goby and one other fish)
Old 02-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #50
AA Team Emeritus

I've heard mixed reviews on the Biocube. They had a lot of issues when they first came out in May or April of '06, including glass issues and filter problems. Have you thought about the JBJ Nanocube? Largest it comes in is 24 gallons, and is a "deluxe" version that has 2 x 36 watt PC lighting in it. Enough for low light corals like shrooms, zoos, softies, some LPS.

Oceanic may have fixed those problems since their release, I'm not sure though.

As far as fish, a sixline wrasse, clowns, some gobies, cardinalfishes, dottybacks or grammas, there is a wide selection.

HTH

Tags
suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com