swimming gobies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am researching for a 10 gallon fowlr. I have kids so will start with a clown, of course. I would like a second fish, but I like ones that actually swim, not sit or perch. What could move around in the 10 gallon with the clown? Also, I need easy to find cost effective fish since I am just starting out. Thanks!

Cardinalfish. I love the colors but some people don't like them because they just float. I don't think so but that my opinion

I like idreaminsaltwater's suggestion. In the same vein, I believe a dartfish would work. The same rule applies about a top, because they are known to jump too.

Firefish gobies just kinda hang out in one spot. Look at the rainford goby too. There's the scissortail goby, but they work better in groups IMO.

Anyway you could d a 20g instead? A 10g is gonna be harder IMO, and maybe only room for one fish.

The 10 gal is my "starter" tank because I already have it. Have agreed with significant other to not buy any new equiment until I have tried this out, espcially given the costs.

I know two fish in a 10 is pushing it, but not terrible. I will maintain it. I prefer fish that actaully swim, and gobies seem to be sitters.

I like the rainfords and will be checking LFS for them. I really, really, like the scissortail, but in researching they seem a bit big for a 10.

What about chromis with a clown? Royal grammas? Any little swimmers ideas will be appreciated.

Are dartfish and gobies the same? I googled dartfish and goby fish came up.

Thanks!

We have a few green chromis in our new tank. They are always active and actually act like a litter of puppies whenever we get close to the tank. Very fun to watch! :)

Tell your significant that a 10g SW tank is a very hard thing to do as opposed to a larger, more forgiving tank. Small mistakes are HUGE in a smaller tank.

I have a Royal Gramma in my nano, with a clown, and that swims around quite nicely (and looks gorgeous). Except of course when startled and then it dives back to its hole.

austinsdad said:
Tell your significant that a 10g SW tank is a very hard thing to do as opposed to a larger, more forgiving tank. Small mistakes are HUGE in a smaller tank.

Hey. Ive heard this lots what mistakes should i be looking to avoid in my 14 gal biocube.

Water param going wild, water quality, bad lfs advice, overstocking, overheating, and that is just of the top of my head. There's plenty more and if you were a beginning sw aquarist maybe start with a fowlr? Or maybe a mantis tank. I love em. But corals just win all together.

But cant that all happen in a bigger tank too i would think things like flat worms and parasites, cyano and ha would all be harder to battle in a bigger tank where in my small tank nothing gets overlooked. So maybe things can go wrong either way?

Bad things just happen a lot FASTER in a nano. Every little thing you do affects everything in the tank. For something to cause a problem in a large tank, it has to be that many times worse to have the same effect. In a nano the smallest problem can have big effects in an instant. This is based on having had many of the problems, with my own impatience being the most common cause. Overstocking a nano tank is way too easy, and does not end well.

For a 10 gallon tank one clown fish is plenty. They are very messy eaters so their bio load would be higher than some other fish. Aggression is another concern with a 10 gallon there is no place for another fish to hide. You could always do a peppermint shrimp, emerald crab, hermit crab or even something like a decorator crab as long as you aren't going to have corals.

twoodrough said:
I am researching for a 10 gallon fowlr. I have kids so will start with a clown, of course. I would like a second fish, but I like ones that actually swim, not sit or perch. What could move around in the 10 gallon with the clown? Also, I need easy to find cost effective fish since I am just starting out. Thanks!

We have a chromis with a false percula clown in 10g. They swim together, but the chromis prefers a school. Maybe a cleaner shrimp would do them well? How about a small wrasse?

Back
Top Bottom