Tds levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will a tds of 28 be low enough for a nano reef? My water out of the tap is 480.

I wouldnt use 28 tds water....what are you using to get down to 28 tds from the 400+?
An ro unit without di? If so you can add a di cartridge for like $30 and get it down to 0.....

I plan on letting it cycle til June would it be fine if I use the ro unit for a few weeks til I get a di unit

I actually wouldnt to be honest. If you put the tds water in like that you will have to do some massive water changes to get rid of the phosphates and other gunk that is left in the water. But if you are up for that might be ok.

And I was going to do 10% every week for the next 3 months til I add livestock so hopefully it works out.

LOL well thats a done deal then. lol

I would just keep the lights off completely during the cycle and then do a bunch of water changes before you add fish or coral, when you are ready that is.

I think I may order the di unit tonight. I got the 3 stage ro buddy from aquaticlife. I'm actually pretty impressed it knocked my water Down from 480 to 28. My lfs in town has a tds out of the tap of over 900.

Thats crazy high. lol

Just remember that you will go through di resin a little quicker than other people most likely. For instance, I have about 250 tds going in and I get to 0 with my 5 stage. The di resin lasts me about 5 months usually and I make a ton of water. I also flush my membranes before every use for like 5-10 minutes so that the tds going into the di resin cartridge is like 7 so the resin holds up very well.

I'm using it for a 20 gallon so I'll be using 5-6 gallons a week so hopefully it'll last a while.

Oh yeah, at that rate you should be fine for many months. :) resin is about $20 for a full cartridge worth so it wont be that expensive when it does stop being effective.

Back
Top Bottom