The cyano blues :'(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katweet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Specs: 10g nano fowlr (planning to upgrade to a 15g with 10g sump as soon as my stand is finished), a little over a month old, stocked with two young clownfish
Amm 0, trites 0, trates 40 (ugh)

My tank is blood red with cyanobacteria right now. I remove some by hand but it's taken over again in under a day. What can I do about this? Is this just "the uglies," and my system will have to work through it on its own? I'm using RO water, do I need to find a dionization unit? Lessen my photoperiod? I need to do water changes to bring those trates down but I know that's just fueling the cyano. I'm just not sure if this is simply a 'new tank bloom' or if there's something I should be doing differently.

Starve the cyano, it survives on light and nutrients. Cut the lights off for 3 days and do so 50% water changes and after that keep up on tank maintenance and you should be okay. Ways to keep cyano from coming back, feed less and water changes especially in a system that small.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Starve the cyano, it survives on light and nutrients. Cut the lights off for 3 days and do so 50% water changes and after that keep up on tank maintenance and you should be okay. Ways to keep cyano from coming back, feed less and water changes especially in a system that small.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Yup, then turn the lights back on, and back the cyano comes.....Water changes don't touch it.

Manual removal by siphoning it out is also necessary during these water changes to bring down the nutrient issue. Then the increased flow can assist with it not forming again.

^^^ +1 I had some nasty patches on my rocks and sand that these guys helped me with.

Increased flow and water changes are a must and make sure to manually remove as much as you can. I had to do this multiple times just for smaller spots. I also had lights off for 3-4 days and didn't feed at all.

Back
Top Bottom