Thinking about starting a saltwater aquarium would love advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckirby0127

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone I dont actually have a tank yet but I have been doing a lot of research and think that after I move in a few months I will be ready. I would like to start with just a coral tank and I would like something 10-25 gallons. So I would like to know what tank you would recommend along with the filter and everything else that goes with this hobby. I have read a lot but with no first hand experience or knowing someone with some all I really have to go on is online articles.I have looked in to getting the 28g Nanocube but have read atricles from expericend owners that say it needs alot of updates so is it really a good investment? Eventually I will upgrade and add fish so I will probably want to add an anemone so I will need corals that will need that same lighting and currents. Any suggestions will be greatly appericated!

Sorry I know this is alot but I dont want to make mistakes and kill anything.

Thanks

I have read the forum you have suggested and I guess I should say that I'm having a hard time figuring out whats a good tank to start with.

IMO the bigger the better. More water volume is more forgiving to mistakes or problems. I know dont everyone agree with me but I always suggest a bigger tank like a 55 gallon tank and for a challenge later on go with the nano tank. JMO

I would love to go big but I know that this wont be our last move for the next 2years (my husbands in the army) so I figured a small tank would be better.

It will have to do then. Not saying it wont work. Just have to be more dilligent with the smaller tank.

x1 20g (24"x13"x16")
x1 AquaClear 110
Turn AquaClear into fuge: ReefMonkey Saltwater Aquarium Forum - View topic - DIY AquaClear 70 fuge
x2 50w heaters (Tronic or Visitherm: both will fit in your filter)
27 lbs of sand for a 2" sandbed (depending on type)
2-3lbs. per gallon of live rock (Premium Fiji)
4x24w Tek fixture, ATI fixture, or IceCap HO retrofit.
Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals salt
x1 Refractometer

...what'd I miss? lol

Se if you can find a reputable fish shop in Germany they would help greatly, alternatively get your husband posted back to 'Blighty' where you can start your hobby...............:)

Thanks you guys that is very helpful.
I meant to ask about the types of sand some places say you need live sand and others just say sand does it really make a difference?

Last edited:
I depends on how fast you want your tank to mature.........it will become 'live' after a while of cycling. Again research your sand to what you want.....no doubt on here there will a lot more 'boffins' to help which is best.

Back
Top Bottom