Thinking of doing ten gallon nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex ski

Aquarium Advice Regular
What do I need to start it like a skimmer (what's a skimmer) and a chiller (whats that) and do I need a special filter and how much money do they usually cost

And maybe some suggestions to stock it i don't really know much...

What do I need to start it like a skimmer (what's a skimmer) and a chiller (whats that) and do I need a special filter and how much money do they usually cost

And maybe some suggestions to stock it i don't really know much...

This is a loaded question.

No skimmer, No chiller...

Power head, lights will depend on if your doing fish only (FOWLR) or a reef tank.

Refractometer to check salinity

Heater

Filter can be a AquaClear 110. I'm partial to them.

My friend has a killer 10 gallon tank. I link the thread.

Some live rock

Sand(doesn't have to be live)

Omg awesome but how much will all of this cost and what fish will I put in it and I really do want to do a reef tank lol

Can't do much. He has a clown fish and goby. I know clown fish need a bigger tank but I don't bash people. He knows the deal.

You could spend I'd say anywhere from 300-1,000 easy and without blinking.

Can't do much. He has a clown fish and goby. I know clown fish need a bigger tank but I don't bash people. He knows the deal.

You could spend I'd say anywhere from 300-1,000 easy and without blinking.

Wow what is so expensive

All hope is lost for now... :)

Well.. Not really. Lemme see what I can put together. Hmmm... Lets just say fish only. So no corals or fancy lighting.

Get the tank when it goes on sale for a dollar a gallon so that's 10 bucks plus tax. Lets day 13 bucks.

Now a the filter say 80

That's 93 bucks so far. Heater call it 30 that's 123.00 so far. Now lights, with no corals you can go with a double t5 HO fixture.

http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Saltwater-Aquarium-Light-Fixture/product-reviews/B000YHIB78

Lets just round it to 100 so... 223.00

You'll need a power head.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0036S70ZG

We'll say 35 so that's now 258.00

So that's filter, light, tank, heater and power head.

You'll need rock and sand. Prices are different all over. Here's a few sites.

http://www.liverockranch.com/page/page/6544418.htm

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=393

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-...urce=trada&utm_content=5321362240_19136426320

Now you don't need all live rock BUT I will suggest in a 10 gallon to go with all live rock. You do not however need live sand.

Hope this sheds a little light on the subject. Save up and if your set on it you'll do it.

I'm currently setting up a 20L for a buddy of mines son. Which is awesome because I live setting tanks up and scaping plus he offered to pay me to set it up, cycle it and keep it going until his son gets the hang of it. His son is 9 and is an amazing kid.

Anyway good luck!

I agree with convict on this one in no way shap or form do you have to make it expensive. My first sw tank was a ten gallon starter kit tank 40 bucks with aquarium hood to light bulbs and hob. Salt mix 10 bucks 10 pounds of play sand from like Home Depot 10 bucks and like 5 to 10pounds of live rock 70 bucks salinity gauge like 6 bucks and a few hearty fish like 30. And after a while you can start upgrading hear and there every few weeks or so tell bam you have a saucy package. Wish you luck!! It's a great hobby and glad to see the interest.

I already have the sand how much dose the special lighting cost or would 40 watts work
Because I have started saving up next week I'm going to get the tank

Ok like I said I'm saving up and buying the tank on Saturday or next Saturday

Yep I know... And thank you guys for the insperation and help :)

For lighting, I reccomend a Finnex Ray 2. Even though they don't make it in 20 inches, I still think it's an amazing light. I have the 18 inch fixture on my 10 gal tank right now and it's awesome. And, no replacing bulbs like in T5. Plus it's like 85 bucks on amazon.

On my 10 gal, all I have is one 280 gph koralia pump and an aquaclear 20. The 110 may be a tad more than you need, and you can probably get away with a much less powerful one. I have plenty of flow in my tank.

Keep in mind that currently i'm only keeping some easy corals and have yet to try out harder ones.

For lighting, I reccomend a Finnex Ray 2. Even though they don't make it in 20 inches, I still think it's an amazing light. I have the 18 inch fixture on my 10 gal tank right now and it's awesome. And, no replacing bulbs like in T5. Plus it's like 85 bucks on amazon.

On my 10 gal, all I have is one 280 gph koralia pump and an aquaclear 20. The 110 may be a tad more than you need, and you can probably get away with a much less powerful one. I have plenty of flow in my tank.

Keep in mind that currently i'm only keeping some easy corals and have yet to try out harder ones.

Depending on what your keeping of course and as we know opinions will vary. I think that setup doesn't provide enough flow.

Also if the OP sets up the AC110 the way my friend set his up he will be very happy.

I find the 280 extremely weak, I had them, hated them. Even the 425 is a little low for my taste but good enough. Then again your talking to someone who's running a MP10 and a upgraded return pump on his bio cube 29 lol.

To each there own and that's what this place is all about. Offering different opinions and advice and it boils down to what the OP chooses. At least we give the OP options.

How does your friend set up his AC?

The flow in my tank seems pretty strong. If anything goes in front of the power head they're blown away. My cleaner shrimp won't even go over there. If I had the choice, I would have got a bigger AC but I used what I had. Not saying to get to AC 20, just saying if you wanted to save some cash you could be fine with something less than the 110 IMO.

My set up provides enough flow for what I am accomplishing, so depending of course on what the OP wants to keep it will vary.

The 280 may seem weak in a 29 gal, but it isn't weak in a small little 10 gal. I think you like more flow than most, Convict lol. Maybe I like less flow than most! lol. So it's all opinion.

But like I said, I'm not keeping anything difficult, just some xenia and zoas so my set up is working well for me. The more difficult corals, the more flow you'll need. I'm fairly new in the SW world so just passing down some of the things that have worked out for me so far.

I'm running the ray two on my fluval looks great and colors pop. And in my ten gallon I'd believe I ran for circulation a aquaion 500 it will give a pretty strong wide flow for a ten gallon!

Back
Top Bottom