Thoughts on HOB filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcsguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm new to the saltwater side and even though I've read how hard it is to start with a nano and to always go bigger, I'm up for the challenge of a 5g pico. The tanks been setup for about a week and has one piece of live rock, about 2 lbs. So now here comes the question: I've read conflicting information on HOB filters, like the ones that come with small kits. Some say that it's useless and may even cause nitrate problems, some say it's beneficial In a small tank. So, would you say that with a HOB filter, less rock would be required or is it wise to get rid of the filter, buy a powerhead (planning on doing that anyway) and get more rock?

HOB filters are great but use rock rubble instead of sand that war you develop nitrifying bacteria also you can use macro alge but it's not completely necessary. Also try to limit the introduction of nutrients from food or poop so steer clear of fish they can wreck a nano aquarium quick if you accidentally over feed or they die. Where in a large aquarium they can't affect the water quality very easily

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
HOB filters are great but use rock rubble instead of sand that war you develop nitrifying bacteria also u can use macro alge but it's not completely necessary. Also try to limit the introduction of nutrients from food or poop so steer clear of fish they can wreck a nano aquarium quick if u accidentally over feed or they die. Where in a large aquarium they can't affect the water quality very easily

Thanks for advice. I'm planning on an invert only tank for this so over feeding shouldn't be a huge problem

Thanks for advice. I'm planning on an invert only tank for this so over feeding shouldn't be a huge problem

HOB filters are great! I had one on my 15 gallon column!! No problems at all until my tank sprung a leak!!

I now have a 5 gallon fluval spec v. (With SAND) if you do use HOB filter keep sponge and buy this super cheap light and dark blue filter pad stuff( picture below). Cut to size. And change every other water change. Also invest in some Chemi pure blue or Chemi pure blue nano. That will help take care of nitrates. You shouldn't have high nitrates since you won't have any fish and your not feeding. Also currently I'm doing two water changes a week. Tuesday and Friday nights.

Back
Top Bottom