Topless?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Those that have biocubes, I'm curious. I'm totally new and still cycling my tank. Getting there. I totally tricked out my tank with a lot of mods from inTank and then some. I'm looking to upgrade the lighting very very soon. If I do I'll have to remove the hood which I don't like anyway. I'll eliminate 2 plugs also which is good.

Anyway does anyone go topless? I like the look. Or maybe I'll have a screen made with custom weights on the ends. One thing most lights as you know screw to the inside of the tank so it doesn't go anywhere or they rest on the sides with the rails.

So your thoughts?

Topless is better for gas Exchange I like the screen idea better then glass cover due to the fact fish can't jump out and gas Exchange will not be a proublem

bskerrichard27 said:
Topless is better for gas Exchange I like the screen idea better then glass cover due to the fact fish can't jump out and gas Exchange will not be a proublem

Yeah I've been reading up on this and now I understand why so many people with saltwater tanks have no tops on them. I see beautiful tanks with such nice lighting and often wondered why there was no lid, top, canopy whatever you wanna call it. It was well... Topless.

If you decide to go with a topless tank there will be more evaporation and possible problems with fish jumping. You can help both those thing easily a good ato and a screen top. Both every easy to do.

joy13 said:
If you decide to go with a topless tank there will be more evaporation and possible problems with fish jumping. You can help both those thing easily a good ato and a screen top. Both every easy to do.

I very well maybe going topless because of my light upgrade so I'd really have no choice. I'll my buddy make a 20x20 screen, I'd still have to figure out how it will mount on the edge of the tank of the screen is on. I'll figure it out though. I'm sure it's easy. A little trip to homedepot and I'm sure I'd be set.

U can have a canapy due to the fact its so many inches from the water and most have fans in them to ventilate so heat don't build up and gas Exchange still occurs

bskerrichard27 said:
U can have a canapy due to the fact its so many inches from the water and most have fans in them to ventilate so heat don't build up and gas Exchange still occurs

A canopy for a bio cube 29? I'm assuming this would be custom?

More light means greater difficulty in keeping algae at bay. I would recommend waiting until you have experience with some of the corals before thinking about an upgrade. An upgrade really isn't necessary unless you are wanting some of the more light-demanding corals.

Also, I had an 8 gallon Biocube and never had a problem with gas exchange like I did in my covered pico. The fans seem to help a lot IMO. My pH stayed right around 8.2-8.3.

severum mama said:
More light means greater difficulty in keeping algae at bay. I would recommend waiting until you have experience with some of the corals before thinking about an upgrade. An upgrade really isn't necessary unless you are wanting some of the more light-demanding corals.

Also, I had an 8 gallon Biocube and never had a problem with gas exchange like I did in my covered pico. The fans seem to help a lot IMO. My pH stayed right around 8.2-8.3.

Good point mama! I'm just my SW feet wet! Lemme SLOOOOW down ;)

One month at a time. I have my African tank to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom