trace elements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medic747

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do I need to add any trace elements to a 10 gal nano tank when I add coral! To keep them and my LR Alive??

Your PWC water should take care of any supplements needed. The only one that it might not is Calcium. You`ll need to test to be sure.

I just can't wrap my mind around how deionized ( water minus almost all ions) can support a reef.. Yes there is stuff in the salt but as it gets used up you're kinda chasing the game... Could someone explain?
I am also looking into a reef supplement.

Pay a little extra for the good salt and u don't need to add anything. Don't buy into all that additive stuff. It's a gimmick!

And as long as u change ur water occasionally u won't use up the elements that r in the salt

Good advice by Crabs. Even just doing PWC`s once a month you`ll replenish your trace elements. In a decent salt mix there is over 89 different salts that make up the needed trace elements. If my tank as packed as it is, is not using up all the trace elements then I doubt that yours is.

Ok so im guessing the salt at petsmart isn't a good salt? What brand and where can I get it

I don't know what brands they sell at your local Petsmart, but Instant Ocean is a very good salt and also one of the cheapest, cost wise. Any of the popular name brand salts are fine....Kent, Oceanic, Reef Crystals, Red Sea, etc.

I have Coralife instant ocean. Might set up a kalk drip?

I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. The new stuff claims to have more calcium. Any good salt will work. The drip is an interesting idea that I will check into

Hav the kalk drip ready to go just want to research more into the whole mixing process..
Cost: 12.36$
Calcium in salt will get u started but te way it works you will end up with less and less over time.
Bogus example:
If you start with 450ppm and the corals/ inverts use 50pmm, you're left with 400 now you do a water change for 20% and your salt has 450ppm you're going to have less than 450 ppm in your tank now. So keep doing this for a year and your system could be running really low on ca++
that's why the kalk drip. It also keeps the alkalinity in check and the ph more stable, encourages coral and invert growth increases skimmer efficiency and macroalgea growth. Oh and it tops off automatically.. Lot of good stuff for 12 bucks. Downside? Setup, DIY, constant testing, daily maintenance.

However how about other trace elements such as strontium, iodine, magnesium, molybdenum ... Etc?

Do not mean to hijack thread but to share and learn.

Before starting to dose anything, including kalk, test, test and test again to determine the rate of consumption. A 50ppm drop in calcium is quite large and will only happen in a system packed full of SPS corals.

ccCapt said:
Before starting to dose anything, including kalk, test, test and test again to determine the rate of consumption. A 50ppm drop in calcium is quite large and will only happen in a system packed full of SPS corals.

Yes yes I denoted bogus example to make a Point. Agreed, test test test!

Back
Top Bottom