Turquoise Mushroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeGio

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey I just picked up this single mushroom and I'm trying to figure out the ideal set up for it. It is folded up right now, what does that mean? Do I need to feed it?, no right

Low light, low flow?

Attachments

• image-3121043419.jpg
    image-3121043419.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 147
Pretty shroom!

No need to feed it. I believe you're correct in terms of flow and lighting. Low to moderate on both accounts.

Give it a couple of days to get happy. It should open up shortly!

Pretty shroom!

No need to feed it. I believe you're correct in terms of flow and lighting. Low to moderate on both accounts.

Give it a couple of days to get happy. It should open up shortly!

Thanks, yeah it's pretty awesome.
How quickly do they multiply and is there a way to speed it up?

Why is the mushroom folding up when the lights go off?, I figured it would be the opposite.

Mushrooms are like nems they shrink at night. No light to use so why waste energy staying expanded. Completely normal.

Mushrooms are like nems they shrink at night. No light to use so why waste energy staying expanded. Completely normal.

This is how it opened up today. Does it look good?, any recommendations?

Attachments

• image-1821301160.jpg
    image-1821301160.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 88
  • image-4244614856.jpg
    image-4244614856.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 79
I just added a few shrooms. I placed them high up towards the light. Should I lower them? Great thread for some newbies.

Mushrooms are very very easy to grow. They dont require intense lights or water flow and you can simply slice them in half with a razor and they will heal quickly and you will have two. I would recommend getting a cheap shroom and practice cutting that one before trying it on a nice one. If its stuck on a plug or rock just slice it right off as close to the rock or plug as you can and pull it from the tank. Put it on a cutting surface and slice it right down the middle. Any blade will do, I use an xacto knife myself. Once cut I would dip them in an iodine bath for a few minutes and then rinse off in clean salt water before adding to your tank. If you want to make sure that they don't blow around your tank or get attached to a rock you don't want them on I would take a container and drill holes in it and fit it with a lid that won't come off. The hole will allow water to flow through it. Fill it with some live rock rubble and add your shrooms. Leave em there for about 2 weeks and they will be attached to a small rock. Now they are weighted down and you can glue that anywhere you want. Hope this helps.

A few of our new editions. Does anyone know names?

image-2027633682.jpg

Attachments

• image-4011858296.jpg
    image-4011858296.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 69
  • image-4162672596.jpg
    image-4162672596.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 48
  • image-2115554720.jpg
    image-2115554720.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 55
First one and 3rd ones are zoas though I have no clue as to what the common names are. Last one looks like a fuzzy mushroom

Back
Top Bottom