Unused 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdmaze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an extra 10 gal and I'm considering getting into a small sw tank. I've read that smaller is harder to manage but 10 is what I have. How hard is a 10g to maintain on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being extremely difficult?

I realize that the number of fish is extremely limited. It looks like a could have a goby and maybe a small cardinalfish (?).

I'm open to suggestions and advice on everything from stocking to materials needed.

Lighting will be the basic bulbs that come with a hood (at least, for now). I will have to get a new filter. I had a 15-20...will that be good enough for saltwater?

A ten gal is really not that hard if you keep up on water changes every two weeks. Just do a proper cycle and you will be good. I say 6 on the hard scale. My friend has a 10 gal reef that is 4 months old. Everything is amazing. Just get a filter for a 30 gal tank and use that. She has two false perc clownfish and a blenny, three snails and one turbo. 4 emerald crabs and a brittle star fish.

Although I have a 20 Gallon Long Saltwater, I think that it would be a 5-6. You would have to frequently top off with freshwater due to evaporation, but it's extremely possible. Now, in terms of keeping fish in it, you're very limited in terms of selection. You may be able to get away with a Clownfish, but even that's risky. If you're thinking of getting special lighting as well, you want to keep some small soft corals. You can get nano fish, such as gobies, and those are quite interesting.
Hope this helps!!
-Garrett

Thanks for the advice. I already set it up with some Argonite sand and a few medium pieces of live rock. My plan is to let it sit like this for a while.

Down the road when I do add fish, I was planning on adding a goby for sure. I have two girls and I'm sure they would love a "Nemo" but I realize that would be pushing it. I may do a goby and a small cardinal fish (like an orange lined).

In my friends 10 gal she has 2clownfish and a blenny.( she does plan on upgrading this winter to a 20) everything so far is going amazing.

Tomchong22 said:
In my friends 10 gal she has 2clownfish and a blenny.( she does plan on upgrading this winter to a 20) everything so far is going amazing.

That's way over stocked.

I know. It started as just one clownfish then she wanted another and ten the blenny. Don't worry they are all very small and will be moved into a 20 -30gal soon.

People always say they'll upgrade" but they never do. Make sure she does, and quick. What type of blenny is it?

She already has the tank. We r just waiting till she can get more liverock and sand. And it's a scooter blenny.

Back
Top Bottom