Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry only getting back to you mate. This app wasn't working yesterday . Had to upload it again. That looks really nice you know. I need something that is gona grow cuz my tank is looking quite bare at the min. If I have a few more corals wouldn't it be a good idea to get a nano skimmer?
Are they noisy? Lol
Have you got a battery back up if you have a power cut? Where would I get one?
Cheers mate
Benn

With a tank your size it's not too important to have a skimmer as keeping up with water changes will take out most of the nasties. I had a skimmer on my 120 litre tank and it took a fair bit of gunk out, I would try 1 mate. My skimmer takes out some right smelly crap lol my pump is a bit loud though.
I cleaned my cup out yesterday and its skimmed this amount of skimmate.
I wouldn't bother with a backup battery for a skimmer it's more important to keep the water moving and heated up in a power cut mate.

Attachments

• image-1128337167.jpg
    image-1128337167.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 54
Omg I'd rather take that stuff out than leave it in. Ill go onto eBay later for a browse . Near 5 weeks now and still no fish in the tank . Ill be glad to get a bit of life in there lol.

Yeah I hated looking at an empty tank when I started but slow and steady wins in this hobby ;)
Nope I've never used anything like that filter medium, the best biological filter we can have in our tanks is the live rock, if you need mechanical filtration to polish up the water just use some filter floss and a bag of carbon in one of your compartments.

Yea I said that to man in another LFS that I wouldn't be using anything like that. If anything at the start it would be stress Zyme . After that nothing chemical. Anything you would recommend to put into my filter. I've 4 compartments and I may use them all if it helps keep the water quality good. I'm only using polly pads and a black sponge in chamber 1 chamber 2 heater and live rock rumble chamber 3 biomax that came with the tank and another polly pad before it goes into chamber 4 return only
. If I've too much pads sponges ect in chamber 1 would it restrict the flow and then waste would build up in the tank ?
Sorry about all the questions mate I just don't want to make any more mistakes lol. And I'm thinking whenever I first put the 2 clowns in I had the filter sorta the same way and would this also have been a problem when the tank went up the left.
Cheers
Benn

Hi mate I personally would get rid of the sponges and replace with some filter floss, it's really cheap I get mine from wilkinsons for a quid, then when it gets dirty throw it away and replace with new. I've just done a 50 litre water change what I do is use a turkey Baster and blast crap that settles on the rock, take out some tank water, then top up water and after an hour or 2 replace my filter floss when my water has cleared up, that way you get some nasty stuff out the tank.
Your rock rubble will be fine in one compartment just blast it with a turkey Baster now and again to stop crap settling on it, it's a good place for pods to live and reproduce too.

Cool. Ill take the sponge out then mate and get filter floss. I use the polly pads that we use at work lol. But if there is too much polly pad in chamber one at the min would it affect the water getting through? We don't have wilkinsons over here so ill go on Internet and get some

It may restrict the flow a little, I would leave 1 in for now until you get some filter floss, most aquatic shops sells floss

Yea we sell filter floss. Even with my discount its too expensive and the box is small too. Lol. Yes ill keep a couple in for now. One wouldn't do Anything as the water would just pass over the top of it. So filter floss wouldn't restrict the flow as much basically ?

It will restrict the flow more but it catches a lot of the fine particles floating around your tank then you can bin it. The foam pads collect crap but even with cleaning them I wouldn't want to put them back in as there maybe some still in the pads that would decay release nitrates and phosphates back into your water.

Beautiful tank dude, im trying to get a biocube myself. Looks great hope to see more.

I was binning the polly pads once a week anyway as I've got an unlimited amount of them. If you say that the wool is better then ill defo get some

Lol it looks like a little sea hare I just bought 1 yesterday for £15 :)
Also got myself a New purple tip anemone !

They plough through hair algae in no time, some people rent them out to get rid of other people's algae before they starve to death ;)

Back
Top Bottom