Wanting to start my first reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNAAAR

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to convert my 10 gallon guppy tank into a reef tank and I have a few questions. This will be the first time I even attempt salt water so I'm having a hard time getting the information I need.

Currently I am planning on having zoanthids, pulsing Xenia, and hammer corals in the tank. I also want to try housing a firefish or a chromi instead. I do know for sure that I want to have a yasha goby and a pistol shrimp due to the simbiotic relationship between the 2.

Some of my questions have to do with compatibility and if 10 gallons is enough space for what I want. I am also wondering if a sump and protein skimmer are necessary for a tank this size as I have found a lot of mixed opinions but none making much sense.

Any help would be very appreciated.

I want to convert my 10 gallon guppy tank into a reef tank and I have a few questions. This will be the first time I even attempt salt water so I'm having a hard time getting the information I need.

Currently I am planning on having zoanthids, pulsing Xenia, and hammer corals in the tank. I also want to try housing a firefish or a chromi instead. I do know for sure that I want to have a yasha goby and a pistol shrimp due to the simbiotic relationship between the 2.

Some of my questions have to do with compatibility and if 10 gallons is enough space for what I want. I am also wondering if a sump and protein skimmer are necessary for a tank this size as I have found a lot of mixed opinions but none making much sense.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Firefish and goby would be fine, wouldnot do the chromis.

When I ran my 10g I didn't have a dump of a skimmer and everything ran fine. Weekly water changes did wonders and everything it needed. Personally I love nano tanks cause there pretty easy to take care of (for me) I used a super oversized aquaclear, like one rated for a 75g and filled the basket up with what ever media I wanted. I also had a small power head and a heater. Besides my light, that's all the equipment I had

I kept a juvi sixline and a shrimp that didn't make it through the move sadly. I've now upgraded that 10g to a 75 and it has the works

Firefish and goby would be fine, wouldnot do the chromis.

When I ran my 10g I didn't have a dump of a skimmer and everything ran fine. Weekly water changes did wonders and everything it needed. Personally I love nano tanks cause there pretty easy to take care of (for me) I used a super oversized aquaclear, like one rated for a 75g and filled the basket up with what ever media I wanted. I also had a small power head and a heater. Besides my light, that's all the equipment I had

I kept a juvi sixline and a shrimp that didn't make it through the move sadly. I've now upgraded that 10g to a 75 and it has the works

Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom