water change = MAD Corals??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I did a small 1gal. water change yesterday on my 12gal. Nano and immediately following the water change I noticed all of my corals had closed up and had this white stringy stuff hanging from them!

Corals include Zoo's, shroom's, Trumpet Coral Frag, and some GSP! The GSP didn't react like the others did, they kinda hid for a few minutes and then popped right back out! But all the others closed up real quick and started spewing this white film.

The water change parameters were perfectly matched the only thing was the temp may have been off by 1 degree at the most!!!

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Jermz

well i only have toadstools and can only give advice on them not the other corals. mine do not like water changes or adding water either they usually close and then reopen sometime maybe a hour or the next day. now my toadstools give off a white film about once or twice a month and this is like a sheading proceess that they use to remove junk from themsleves and kinda cleans them. know i forget the technical mumbo jumbo but i think its removes excess growth or nuitetns and anything else that could build up and harm them. so i am sure someone else with have the exact techinical but its been and awhile since i read the book but its nothing i worry about its a natural process for the most part of what i have been told and researched

Hmmmm .... sounds legit! It was just very strange that this happened immediately following the water change. If corals don't like water changes how do you get around it or do you just say oh well corals it's for your benefit that I'm doing this and do it?

I'm gonna have to do some research tonight at home and see what I come up with!

Keep in mind that with smaller tanks, changes also need to be small. With water changes or top offs, it immediately affects the whole tank quite quickly. It makes it much more necessary to do less more often, than more less often if you get my meaning. 1 gal for a 12 gal nano (depending on water displacement) would be close to a 10% water change. In and of itself this is not that much but if the water parameters of the new SW vs the tank are not closely matching, the corals react negatively. Closing up and sliming would definately be an indication of this. Sliming only could simpley be a feeding response.

Be sure no matter the size of the tank, new SW is properly aged and aerated at least a day in advance before needed. It wouldn't hurt to check the chemistry of the new SW against the tank either. At the very least be sure salinity, pH and temp are as close as possible.

Cheers
Steve

i also when adding: poor the water farthest away and very very slowly almost a tricle so that the water is not gushed down on them. since i have done this they usually only shead once a month and close maybe for a few min and anymore they are use to it and usually dont close at all
but i still dont know about the other corals i just now the year or so that i have had the toadstool they usually like clock work shed once a month and i was told it was heatlhy and usually for them to do it. also read this in "the reef aquarium" i was told this book was a good book to read up on saltwater.
good luck

Thanks everyone. I hope everything is O.K. I came home today and no more slime :D :D , but everyone is still closed up, :cry: :cry: !!! Even the GSP's are now closed?

steve-s - new SW params were right on with what I was pulling out, so I think the case may have been the gush from kinda of just pouring it in quickly. I think next time I may only do a 1/2 gal. and like flame82 said pour it in real slow!

Back
Top Bottom