Water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mjpendrey

Aquarium Advice Freak
When performing a water change in a 15 gallon how much water and how often should I do it? Also what water do I put back in, normal water or does it have to be saltwater??

If you have a saltwater tank then you add saltwater. I would be doing like 3g for a water change maybe a gallon more here or there if your water needs it.

You use regular unsalted water for top offs, when your water evaporates, not for water changes.

Hope that helped!

Well for a 15gal I would say about 2 to 5 gal. You do want to use saltwater and if you are mixing it yourself make shure to use ro water as to not put any foreign stuff back in you tank. As far as how offten personaly with such a small tank I would do it once a week. If you are running a skimmer it could be posible to extend that to every other week. Food for thought in a 15gal tank the nutriants are lost or used alot faster then in a bigger tank

Thanks once again Carey your a great help don't know how I'd start this without you lol, yes I have two skimmers already foes the saltwater I'm putting back in need to be the same salinity?

Yep, match up your bucket of water salinity with the tanks current salinity. The only time you WOULDNT is if you are adjusting the salinity in your tank. Say it got too high one week, when you do your water change you add just a tad less salt and it will balance it out.

But for the most part if you top off with pure water and do pwc's with same salinity salt water then you should be fine. Make sure the temp matches too! And it should be mixed really really well, a small powerhead in the bucket can help a ton. Don't just make saltwater and throw it in. ;-)

Glad I've been of some help, I appreciate it.

You can get it at a fish store or try a supermarket, they sometimes have those machines where you can buy water for like 30 cents a gallon. Thats what I did until I got my ro/di machine.

I would test it for nitrates and phosphates to be sure. It will be more money though, my lfs charges a dollar a gallon for premixed.

Back
Top Bottom