What are the risks of having a anemone with corals??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaboi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I heard that anemones can kill coral or if it dies it can kill off living things in your tank. Is this true? Whats safe to put with anemones?

I heard that anemones can kill coral or if it dies it can kill off living things in your tank. Is this true? Whats safe to put with anemones?

They move a lot until they find a happy spot. In doing so they will love over your corals and sting them and possible harming or even killing them. I've always read if you want one you should introduce one before any other corals.

Even that doesn't mean it won't move. You need strong lighting to for the nem to thrive and remain healthy.

If it dies it can omit a toxic substance that could wreak havoc on water parameters etc.

Also depends on what kind of nem. I'm not a nem expert but from what I've seen and read there are some that are better suited then others. There have nems known to eat live stock.

Thx yeah that sounds about what ive heard

My 2 cents... Nems are very popular. If it dies, simply remove it. Many animals, if they die, CAN
wreak havoc on your tank, it's a risk of salt water tanks. I wouldn't avoid getting one because of fear. I actually added one last night :cool:

Just a lil bubble tip... Looks awesome this morning his foot is planted really well.

image-2184637028.jpg

The primary issue with nem death is that when they die, they dissolve very quickly making removal of the body extremely difficult at best. Since their body is mainly water they essentially dissolve into a slimy goo that is very difficult to remove effectively. Generally speaking nems need an extremely stable tank to be able to survive long term and IMO should never be introduced into a tank that has been established less than a year. That said, if you have adequete lighting and can keep them healthy, they are beautiful animals that will add a lot to your aquarium keeping experience and enjoyment.

Back
Top Bottom