What are these? And are they bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisbmilton

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon tank and a bought a new mushroom coral and these things started growing, I count five - some kind of anemone?

I have 2 clown fish and a bicolor "dottyback".

Attachments

• image-1016924938.jpg
    image-1016924938.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 118
Those are called apista. Kill it because they can sting your coral. Use boiling water or lemon juice

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Those are called apista. Kill it because they can sting your coral. Use boiling water or lemon juice

To expand on this I would go tho the pharmacy and get a syringe and some lemon juice and inject the apastia in the base in will shrivel up and die after a couple of minutes for more advice google "how to kill an apastia anemone"

Ok thanks guys, I was reading up on it - and it's Aiptasia I think it's spelt. I read that peppermint shrimp keep these under control?

Yup! Peppermint shrimp will take care of it. I had few glass anemones in my 30 gallon tank. Got 2 peppermint shrimps and 24 hours later there was no signs of aiptasia.

Chrisbmilton said:
Ok thanks guys, I was reading up on it - and it's Aiptasia I think it's spelt. I read that peppermint shrimp keep these under control?

Peppermint shrimp will take care of smaller ones but usually leave the bigger ones alone.

I got a turkey Baster and shot it with boiling water. It never came back

If you're not careful the aiptasia will self replicate, any cell from the disc section can become a new one. Be careful with the shrimp too, it has to be Pacific (or Atlantic? I forget, either way one of them works, the other doesn't) and once its done with your aiptasia it will go for your corals. Same for a butterfly, although you do find some that won't.

If you're not careful the aiptasia will self replicate, any cell from the disc section can become a new one. Be careful with the shrimp too, it has to be Pacific (or Atlantic? I forget, either way one of them works, the other doesn't) and once its done with your aiptasia it will go for your corals. Same for a butterfly, although you do find some that won't.

peppermints will not go after corals. Peppermints are often confused with camel shrimp that look pretty similar. Camels have been known to nip at leathers or mushrooms, however peppermints are completely reef safe. Peppermints will rid of aiptasia while camels will not.

Also as far as location, peppermints are of atlantic origin and camels are indo-pacific.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom