What fish to start with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

M1cky69

Aquarium Advice Activist
I I'm currently starting a nano reef and I am contemplating fish to keep. It's a 25 gal tank.

Ideally I'd like to keep 2x clownfish, 1x royal gamma and invertebrate would be a red fire shrimp I think it's called and some kind of starfish.

Would the bio load be ok for them, I'll be using 10-15 kg live rock.

Eventually I'll put some soft corals in and wondering wat type are the best to start with?

Any help Is appreciated cheers

bruinsbro1997 said:
Hi there,

I'm not a SW person, but I do believe (depending on your lighting, what is it?) you could start out with zoas and mushroom corals.

The lighting is designed for reef as they are twin t5 high output with 6x1watt marine white LEDs and 4x0.5wall marine blue LEDs. Would this lighting be ok for most corals?

redsea said:
The general rule for live rock is about a pound per gallon. Some people do 1.5 pounds per gallon too. :)

So I'm looking at about 23-25 kg as I'll be using live sand too!?

Thanks for the list much appreciated but on the list there is a seahorse and I'm sure they are supposed to be very hard to care for aren't they
Yes. That list tells the care requirements of each fish. Those are fish that will definitely work in a tank your size. You should still research each fish you are interested in.

nickthecat said:
But you missed out regal and yellow tangs, also trigger fish too?

I was under the impression tangs can't live in this space!? It's 24 gallon. Cuz I would love a blue tang but thought they need about a 90 gallon to be happy. After all stressed fish will have short life span

mr_X said:
Yes. That list tells the care requirements of each fish. Those are fish that will definitely work in a tank your size. You should still research each fish you are interested in.

Oh I will that's why I'm creating threads on here and sourcing out the correct setup etc. you help is steering me in the right direction!

On another note does live sand have to be washed. Seen a thread earlier and they was stating it does but I thought this would wash away the Bactria you are paying for

24 gallon is fine for a young tang in my opinion, I was like you, wanting a blue tang in a nano. So I got a young regal tang, I guy I know with a 1000ltr tank told me to go for it, so I did.

I have a very happy

Regal tang
Maroon clown
Yellow goby
Cleaner shrimp
2 turbo snails
2 hermits

My mushroom sponge and green star polyps are doing great, I do 10ltr water change every week and guess what?

I have a 12 gallon orca tl-450

I've had the fish for 1 year an they are really great.

Everybody is entitled to their opinions, I am not cruel, evil, I love all animals.
If it got to a time when any of my fish got too big for their tank I would pass them on to someone else, or perhaps I'd have a bigger tank in the future.

Best,

Nick

Ps and good luck, research and take your time.

A tang in a 24 gallon tank is not a wise decision. This is cruel to the fish and will cause added stress to the fish also. I have been in this hobby 15 yrs and never seen any good from a tang in a tank that small.

Well this is no surprise.

As I said it is in my opinion.

Mr X, I have a wealth of experience in fish keeping thank you. Please by all means have your opinion and offer advise, but please do not put other members experience down just because you feel differently.

Nick.

Nick please dont go around giving false information. Your info is helping nobody

nickthecat said:
24 gallon is fine for a young tang in my opinion, I was like you, wanting a blue tang in a nano. So I got a young regal tang, I guy I know with a 1000ltr tank told me to go for it, so I did.

I have a very happy

Regal tang
Maroon clown
Yellow goby
Cleaner shrimp
2 turbo snails
2 hermits

My mushroom sponge and green star polyps are doing great, I do 10ltr water change every week and guess what?

I have a 12 gallon orca tl-450

I've had the fish for 1 year an they are really great.

Everybody is entitled to their opinions, I am not cruel, evil, I love all animals.
If it got to a time when any of my fish got too big for their tank I would pass them on to someone else, or perhaps I'd have a bigger tank in the future.

Best,

Nick

Ps and good luck, research and take your time.

Absolutly wrong. His tank is way overstocked, and a blue tang needs a much bigger tank then that. NOBODY knows if their fish are happy or not, they may swim and eat like all fish do, but they will not be happy. Do not follow nick's very poor advice, stick to nano fish and types of gobys for your tank.

Gboy66 said:
Nick please dont go around giving false information. Your info is helping nobody

As I said, in my opinion.

Also what I wrote is fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom