What is a good nano reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

somethingsfishy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have always been wanting a salt water tank and I finally convinced the wife. I am going to start with a nano reef somewhere around 15 gallons. What's a good brand?

Bio-cube makes a good 14g tank I have a bio-cube 29g with several soft corals in it and it does great

I was just looking at the oceanic 14 and I saw some reviews that it doesn't provide enough light. I also looked into the jbj nanos. Any input on those?

You can't grow high light corals and I wouldn't put an anemone under the stock lights but it is a very good system for the money.

My whole tank consists of the idea of having clowns host an anemone. Is it possible in a nano? Which tank would put me closer to that goal? Better yet, which would be cheaper to customize to reach that goal?

Well first off, having an anemone does not mean your clowns will host it. It's just a 50/50 shot. I've had several sets of clowns and 2 of them hosted an elegance coral. lol

I also would never put an anemone in a new tank, they require stable, pristine water and super bright lights.

some people say they can keep a nem in a biocube under stock lighting, me I wouldnt do it. The other option is to get a tank and just buy the pieces. You would need tank, heater, filter (like an aquaclear hang on back), 2 powerheads, live rock and sand. About 30lbs of sand and say 35lbs of rock. You can get like 25 lbs of base rock, cheaper, and 10lbs of live rock, it will all be the same after a few weeks and after a few months you can't tell the difference in the rock.

The lighting would be the most expensive thing, and the 29g tank is 30" in length so it's a tough size to find. I'd say you would be looking at $200+ for just the light. There's a decent deal on led's on amazon for like $200, just not sure if they would be enough to cover your whole tank.

carey said:
Well first off, having an anemone does not mean your clowns will host it. It's just a 50/50 shot. I've had several sets of clowns and 2 of them hosted an elegance coral. lol

I also would never put an anemone in a new tank, they require stable, pristine water and super bright lights.

some people say they can keep a nem in a biocube under stock lighting, me I wouldnt do it. The other option is to get a tank and just buy the pieces. You would need tank, heater, filter (like an aquaclear hang on back), 2 powerheads, live rock and sand. About 30lbs of sand and say 35lbs of rock. You can get like 25 lbs of base rock, cheaper, and 10lbs of live rock, it will all be the same after a few weeks and after a few months you can't tell the difference in the rock.

The lighting would be the most expensive thing, and the 29g tank is 30" in length so it's a tough size to find. I'd say you would be looking at $200+ for just the light. There's a decent deal on led's on amazon for like $200, just not sure if they would be enough to cover your whole tank.

For the light, I got a fixture for my 29g from Fishneedit. It's a 4 bulb t5ho fixture. I'm pretty happy with it. And for 125 its a great deal!http://www.fishneedit.com/30in-4bulbs-fixtu304.html

carey said:

I don't think I can put an elegance coral in a tank the size I want. I want to have an anemone but I would rather healthy corals. I have several tanks but I don't want to commit so much to saltwater just yet which is why I settled on a nano. So suppose I do go with a jbj 14, what could I put in there as far as corals. Also, what's the proper way to store live rock and sand??

somethingsfishy said:
If i were to DIY a saltwater tank, would any hob filter work? I have a penguin 350 in the garage in an empty tank.

That should be fine is it the one with the bio wheels ? I has it up on my 20 long nano and it was more than enough with two power heads good luck

If you want a nem it will be cheaper to buy a 29G regular tank put a HOB filter & 2 korlia nano 425 PHs on each side with a 4-6 bulb t5 30" and call it a day. for the $300 you'd spend on this nanocube you'd be able to buy the tank(1$/gallon sale, just wait), powerheads, HOB, Heater, & 30lbs live rock. personally, I love my nanocube & the AIO look. but if I didn't care about the AIO look, I'd def go standard tank.

I don't think I'll do a nem. I must learn to crawl before I walk. I like this tank because it is all in one and the stand comes with it. I have a 90 gallon reef ready but I'm not ready for that size yet. Is the lighting good? I know nothing about corals and would like to be able to house a variety with a few fish.

The cube's stock lighting will allow you to keep most corals, including some LPS like frogspawn and torchs. The only thing I wouldnt put under those lights are SPS hard corals and clams. And the nem. lol

It's a great starter in my opinion, especially if you are just doing SW for the first time. :)

yea if nem is off the table, then I'm with Carey, it's a great starter. warning you will want bigger in just a few short months lol

Yes I'm a newbie to salt and if this goes well ill upgrade. I just want to get a feel for it. I'm excited. Always wanted a saltwater tank. What else should I get with this setup? I have sand and rock in my garage, is that ok to use. It came with my 90 reef which is now fw.

Yep, just rinse the sand and rock off and you can use it. :) I would get a powerhead and a heater and you should be set. You can cycle with some live rock and the dead rock you have so thats about it. :)

On a tank that size you can pass on both. the UV is questionable to begin with and if you do your weekly water changes you shouldnt need a skimmer.

Also the skimmers for this size tank aren't the best really unless you spend some $$$ so just stick to about 3-5g a week in changes and I bet you'll be fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom