whenever I add a new fish the new fish dies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish4ever

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30 gallon reef with a couple corals (polyps) and I have 3 fish that have been alive for 2-3 months they are :
Bangai cardinal
True perv clown
Fire fish . But whenever I add a new fish the new fish dies I've lost a yellow tang a purple dotty back and an algae blenny all my paeans are 0 . So what could be the problem it's been up for 2-4 months ? Any

What is your temp like? How long do you acclimate your fish for? And are your fish quarantined at the store you buy them from?

My temp is like75-77
I float the bag for 20 minutes then change 1/4 of th water in the bag 4-5 times
And what do you mean by quarantined the algae blenny was with 3 tangs and a diamond goby
The yellow tang was with a copperbanded butterfly and the dotty back was by himself

Ok next time try running a drip acclimation for about 2 hrs and then introduce the fish into the tank... I think it could be an issue with the acclimating method.

We just got airline Tubing and the next couple of fish I was thinking about are a yellow tang 2nd try... A fox face a goby after about 2-3 months and possibly a long nose butterfly I know they are all big but we have a 100 gallon that they can be added to if needed

An when I add the fish should I have the lights off?

The bitterly is a nice fish but they are known to nip at corals... You can have only the blue lights on if you like when introducing. Good luck and let me know if the drip acclimation works!!!

Ok :) this week ill try and get just a chromis to see if it will stay alive

Marine temps are usually 78-80 degrees.... 75 is not a good temp..tends to stress newbies even more than they already are..quarantine means in a tank by themselves to make sure they hsve no diseases or " hitch hiker" to give to your fish.... I lost fish( not all) when i had a heater fail.. The temp was only a 1 1/2 degrees cooler than your 75 degrees....

Doesn't heat cause ich? And yes usually my fish come out alone of the tank

In fw u turn the heat up to accelerate the ich lifecycle..75 degrees stresses sw fish and leaves them open to getting ich... Having the temp at 78-80 doesnt cause a fish to get ich.. They can be carrying it dormant and the cool water temp stresses them and "activates" the ich.. Also not to be a brat..if your fish youre buying is in a tank with other fish and is being netted out, this is not quarantining...a tank specifically set up for the separation to monitor for disease or the treatment of disease is "quaranting" the fish...so you dont intro the "cruds" to your tank with your new fish..for more specifics,look in any marine aquarium book for a better explanation....trust me...im a bookworm and have been keeping fe and sw for 15+ years....

My lfs has all they're tanks connected there is slits on the side so the water can flow threw so none of there fish are quarintened ?

Don't get stressed out :) quarantined fish are always better but even with a quarantined specimen there is no guarantee as these are all living creatures and non of us know the entire history of the fish we put in our tanks...

Try the drip acclimation and if it still dies then maybe try a different store and see what happens.... Good luck!

Nope..not if theyre all interconnected..a good... Marine store can,and sometimes will if you ask,quarantine for you..a quarantine tank is independant from the main filter system("closed") and has its own filter.. They have tanks alot of times if they have a sick fish;say in a display tank,or the fish is being bullied and needs to be pulled so it can recover and not be killed...

They have a 45 on its own but it's for all the big Gish like tangs butterfly's etc. and they are the cheapest fish store ik near me. I'm gunna try to upgrade to a 40 gallon breeder and use the 30 as a quarinten

That would be the best to do.... We always try to get"clean" fish but doesnt always happen.... I have one myself..doesnt need to b fancy..just need filter..no deco,etc..;)

A quarantine is best. Gives you peace of mind. I don't use one but I have freshwater. I'm willing to take that gamble over a few bucks but I'm sure just your live rock and fish cost more than my whole setup. If it was me I would set up a small 10 nothing special just bare bottom with a filter. Seed it with some live rock and call it a day.

I asked my parents if I could upgrade to a 40 breeder but they said I could have there 55 when the 100g is up and the 30 will be a quarantine with just some inch PVC pipes as things for them to hide and the filter I have on it that is great

Back
Top Bottom