Which nano setup best for reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctmedman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone.

My 72gal reef tank leaked a few years ago and I lost everything. I didn't end up starting another tank but the "itch" has gotten to me again. I've been thinking about these smaller all in one setups for reefs but wanted to get some opinions on the different models.

1) JBJ 28gal nanocube with HQI lights
2) Oceanic 29gal biocube with HQI lights
3) Red Sea Max 130D 34gal w/ T5 power compacts (they don't make HQI model)

I've looked through the posts and seems like people here like the oceanic biocube. This happens to be the only one my LFS carries. I haven't been able to see the JBJ and RedSea Max to compare.

What I've gathered so far:
1. Red sea model - lots of nice features
- pricey
- timer
- control panel for all outlets
- No high ouput (e.g. HQI) lights. I might want to keep a clam.

2. Oceanic
- built-in skimmer and refugium
- no moon lights

3. JBJ
- have both HQI and LED version
- good price

Any thoughts on these 3 or any other models I should consider? Pros, cons, wishes, etc!

Thanks,
Ct

well i would say the red sea, its alot up front but you get your moneys worth, if you wanted to keep a clam i'm fairly sure you could, bigger is of course always better and i know the red sea max 130d is a good AIO (they usually come with a stand in the price, hence the added price, the others you usually have to buy it seperate unless its a package deal you're looking at)

biocube, with HQI you gotta watch out for heat, cause they get HOT! other than that the skimmer in a tank in the sizes your looking at isnt necessary, but you can do whatever you please.

JBJ, same as above with the HQI, the LED would be best if your looking at just lighting because they're strong, but much less energy usage, and much less heat, also you can keep just about anything you want.

that's just IMO, and i hope you get what you're looking for! deinitely start a build thread no matter which tank you decide on!

Back
Top Bottom