xxlbreed 10gallon strp by step build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxlbreed

Aquarium Advice Activist
Decided to give back some of the information that I learned here and everywhere else and start a new thread on my 10gallon.

This is a super low budget build that can support inverts, corals, fish etc. it was hard for me to figure out the parts to keep the prices low cause this is my first marine project. So for all of you who will be in my shoes one day I listed the prices ;)

leggo!

Tank:
10 gallon aqueon tank. Petco: 12.99
Find one with a nice silicone seal on the inside, there are some that are really bad and some really good

Filled it all the way to the rim outside kn my porch an left it overnight. No leaks visible the next day. Yay

Filter:
Hob = hang on the back from wallmart aquatech 5-15
Normal cartridge in there for now until it's cycled then I'll put live rock rubble in there, lots of it! :)
awesome flow!!!
See paint section for more info

Sand:
I decided to go with non live /dry sand. It was cheaper. Rinsed it a little and put it in. It was 8.99 I think at petco 10pm

It's the little coarser type.. 1 to 2mm pieces aragonite

image-243480108.jpg

Heater:
For now aqueon from another tank, will add info once I ordered the actual one.

Powerhead/ water pump:

I decided to go with the aqueon 500 first but the plastic was so cheap it broke when I wanted to adjust it at the ball joint. Returned and got a koralia evolution 550. It's a lot bigger but I think once it will be covered in vitamins algae it will look just fine ;) it was 38 at my lfs = local fih store

Great surface agitation now:

image-438202813.jpg

It actually is a lot more than it looks like..

Live rock (LR)
From lfs, 6.99 per pound. Ask for cured get it from a place where you can trust what they do. Petco had really nice LR with shrooms on it but I decided o go with my lfs cause it's cheaper an I trust them more. Got 2lb In here now, it looks to be broken coral pieces. adding more later.
Decided not to buy dry rock. Not worth it it's 3.99 a pound for the one I wanted and it will prolong my first cycle, and with shipping it will have almost the same price, plus no waiting for delivery. Make sure lfs weighs without water!

Background/ paint:

So this was a hassle but worth it in ever way!!
I got a can of krylon paint at walmart, gloss true blue. It was like 4 bucks.
Taped off tank, spread out trash bag and spray painted the backside of my tank(just the outside glass wall). while I was at it I researched if the paint is aquarium safe and well it is so I took the suction tube from the filter taped it off and painted it too. One coat on it.
The tank got about 6 coats. I took a lot of time with this to make it perfect.

image-2470727440.jpg

Salt:
Coralife marine salt mix follow instructions
Have a big bag cause of the brackish tank.. I think it was 16 bucks at petsmart 14.5lb

Hydrometer:
Coralife deep six
8.99 petsmart. Get this hydro, no other, it has a sponge on the water intake that prevents airbubbles inside which would offset reading. Excellent and always consistent!

image-1880323975.jpg

that's it for now I'll post more as I purchase it. List:
-more liverox
-heater
-72 watt ho t5
-LCD thermometer

image-485367932.jpg

Current setup, can't wait to order the stuff off the list!

Forgot..

API test:

I have the ammonia and nitrate test kits from my other tanks. They work for now to show me how far my cycle has progressed. But if you don't have one I saw the entire marine test kit by API being sold for 20$ free shipping.

Initiating cycle:
got a 1gallon jug of ammonia at ace hardware for 4.85 or something. You want just ammonia, see-through, penetrant smell, and when you shake the jug, NO bubbles should stay behind.
I dosed out about .9 milliliter with a syringe. Tested about 10times in the process of raising the ammonia in the tank. Got 4ppm with .9ml.
This helps get the fishless cycle started.
The jug did not seal right so my storage closet (where I also have food) started smelling like ammonia within hours so I had to return it. Didn't really feel bad about it ethically since I just used 1ml out of an entre gallon lol.

Water:
For now tap water. Ordered an ro system for my apartment. Will use that instead then. For now tap water with tetra water conditioner.
will review ro system when I have it (shipping)

Also, live rock added today, so Day 1!! :)

More to come!

More live rock:

Added more live rock today, got 9 lb now paid another 36 dollars.. Quite expensive but it looks amazing. I'll have a pic when I get home.

Here's a picture with the new LR
Thinking of building a aquaclear 110 refugium with a miniskimmer, heater, light and, macroalgea.
That would keep the tank clean and neat looking. I'm looking at about another 220$ to finish my list, 80 without skimmer or hob fuge. Lets see what money can do...

Attachments

• image-1950516960.jpg
    image-1950516960.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 136
How long would it take to cycle give that I started at 4ppm ammonia, 10gallon tank 8lb sand and 9lb live rock?

It could take a week or 3. Alot depends on the die off from the liverock and how much bacteria is present to start multiplying and eating the ammonia up. Then it dependson how long it takes for the anitrites to go down to 0 on their own, that alone could be a week.

Theres' really no definitive answer.

WHAAAA!! I tested the water this morning .. 1.024sg, 80.1F and 0.25AMMONIA, ~30 NITRATE!! how does that work?? in like 3 days??! I tested all the other tanks and the measurements seem accurate..is that possible.?

i started with 4ppm of ace hardware ammonia..fiy

This really has me worried .... :/ is there something wrong or is this possible??

You must have some good live rock, it is possible. Now you need to dose it back up to 4ppm ammonia. Do you have a nitrite reading yet?

awww :( again! :( haha
i dont have a nitrite test kit but i had 0 nitrate just 2 days ago and now i got 30!!

well that means you have bacteria converting stuff, but you really really need that trite test so you know when the cycle completes. Without it you risk the chance you miss the spike and eventual downfall to 0 or you think you;ve cycled and you havent and you put fish in.

Find $10 and go get a kit. lol

shouldnt i be able to tell by the nitrates stopping to rise since there is no bio load?

Nope, since you will constantly be dosing your ammonia to 4ppm every day you need to see when the trites start and then wait for them to drop by themselves to 0. Only way to know is to test.

im a little confused here.. could you write it out for me step by step pleassee :)

You will keep adding ammonia to 4ppm everyday. Soon, within a 24 hour time frame the ammonia will go to 0. At this point you should be seeing nitrites. You keep dosing ammonia until the nitrites peak and then also fall to 0. This is when you are cycled, when the nitrites go to a high number and then fall, sometimes overnight to 0. That's why it's so important to have a nitrite kit. You can get for $20 a whole kit with everything, ph, trates, ammonia & trites or just get a kit for trites. I can't stress how important it is to know when they peak and when they drop.

if you dont' know the trite level you won't know when you cycle. Since you have to keep dosing ammonia to 4ppm to get the trite bacteria strong and functioning you could be dosing forever. lol

The prescence of trates is good, but can't tell you when your trites are done peaking and when they fall to 0.

oh... i was under the impression that i just put 4ppm of ammonia in once ... ? Thats how i understood it

Nope, you have to keep feeding the bacteria or else it will die off. You keep dosing it to 4ppm until the nitrites go way up and then drop to 0. And no water changes.

ohh.. hmm .. is there a way to keep it constantly at 4ppm without dosing it ?

actually my ammonia test is the one from api and it says ammonia/nitrite test on the package ? is that fine or not?

Back
Top Bottom