Yellow Tang and Biocube 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok ok ok. Before you all start grilling me , let me explain. A friend of mine has 2" - 2 1/2" Yellow Tang left from breaking down his tank (crazy dude is getting out of the hobby) he says I can have it or he is donating it to a LFS. I have a 29g biocube right now but plan to get a 125g in September. Now my question is, can i house the YT in the biocube for the next few months or should I just let it go to the LFS and fork our the $40 to get one later. (I am very diligent on water prams, PWCs, and I have a refugium)

Let me know your thoughts guys! Thanks. I have till Friday before I need to give him the answer.

Oh! Stock of the tank
20lbs live rock
40lbs live sand
Clean up crew
Bicolor blenny 2 1/2"
Clown 1"
Firefish 2 1/2"

I don't think it's a good idea it should be In a bigger tank. I think that everyone will tell you the same thing. Good luck

Go ahead and take them! IF you are doing the upgrade like you say you are!! Don't take them and forget about the upgrade!!! Most of the Tangs I see in the LFS stay in smaller tanks for months anyway until they are bought. The one I bought was in the tank for 3 months until I bought him. My poor guy was being bullied in the bigger tank, and they took him out and stuck him in a 20 gallon tank. His fins were all nipped, and he is 4in long, not 2in. He was in that tank for 3 months, and I finally broke down and bought the guy. Happy to report he is fatter and all his fins are grown back. He also looks WAY happier being in my tank with all the rock he can swim around. So I don't see an issue with a temporary home! Just make sure you really upgrade!!!

So, if you really are getting a 125, than yes I would take them. If September comes and you find you can't upgrade than give them to the LFS.

Just be careful, they can be a little territorial, and with the smaller tank size they might be a bit more aggressive. Make sure you feed them seaweed as that takes the aggression down a bit.

2 1/2 in is tiny for them, they will get up to a 8in long. They are awesome fish, and should have plenty of room for the temp home! Just make sure you upgrade. I know beating a dead horse. :p

I agree with da baron. The altruistic thing would be to allow the tang go to a bigger tank and hope you can get it for $40 in sept/nov once your cycle is complete. The reality of it is it will be housed in a cramped space, probably smaller than your BC and maybe bought by somebody who thinks they can keep him forever in a 20 gal straight jacket.
Take him, baby him and move him to the big tank in the fall.

Ok guys i think I will get the tang. (It's only one by the way guys lol) I will post pictures tomorrow or the next day. But yea I am going to get a new tank in the fall. If all goes well

Tell us you got them, and post pictures. :p

Oh! And one more question. Should I do more than 10% weekly PWCs or will my nitrite levels be fine. I mean like I said before he is pretty small so I don't see him adding a crazy amount to the bio load. What you u think? And thanks guys for all the input
! :)

If your tank has been cycled and up for a while, I don't see a HUGE impact on the load. I would stick to 10% weekly water changes. Just check the water a little more for a while, to make sure.

Oh, ok! I thought you said he had 2 - 2 1/2 Tangs. :p

If your tank has been cycled and up for a while, I don't see a HUGE impact on the load. I would stick to 10% weekly water changes. Just check the water a little more for a while, to make sure.

Oh, ok! I thought you said he had 2 - 2 1/2 Tangs. :p

Lol yea my levels are all in check.. I will keep an eye on my nitrates tho. Yea it's just one :)

My Sleeper Goby is just getting along well with my yellow tang. like I said, the Diet you feed your tang goes a long way to curb aggression.

Something cool I just found out. I did my research before I bought my Yellow Tang. For all the research I did, I did not know about the white things on the end of their tails was barbs. LOL I just thought they were a color marking at the end of their tails, but nope it's sharp barbs.

I am sure you might have know than, but I didn't. lol

I have two Tangs right now. A yellow eye tang, and the yellow tang. They are getting along great and swim together like a school. When you upgrade I would suggest buying a few more Tangs, and putting them all in the big tang at the Same Time! Now much more tangs, like two more. I really like the Yellow Eye Tang, but I saw a Blue Tang and they are gorgeous! When I upgrade to a 180 gallon (Year from now. :) ) I am going to try and get a Blue Tang!

Something cool I just found out. I did my research before I bought my Yellow Tang. For all the research I did, I did not know about the white things on the end of their tails was barbs. LOL I just thought they were a color marking at the end of their tails, but nope it's sharp barbs.

I am sure you might have know than, but I didn't. lol

I have two Tangs right now. A yellow eye tang, and the yellow tang. They are getting along great and swim together like a school. When you upgrade I would suggest buying a few more Tangs, and putting them all in the big tang at the Same Time! Now much more tangs, like two more. I really like the Yellow Eye Tang, but I saw a Blue Tang and they are gorgeous! When I upgrade to a 180 gallon (Year from now. :) ) I am going to try and get a Blue Tang!

Haha yea I knew about the spine. :p but yea I will think about grabbing another tang or 2 when I am starting the new tank. What greens do u feed ur yellow tang?

Sea Weed, and I have bought a food that has Sea Weed and Brime shrimp together.

I just clip it to the side of my tank, mostly towards the bottom, they don't like coming up for it. A good seaweed is what they like!

Ok sooo..... Yea I didn't get the tang. I was just worried that it would not do ok. I will get one when the new tank is up and cycled

Ok sooo..... Yea I didn't get the tang. I was just worried that it would not do ok. I will get one when the new tank is up and cycled
Good decision IMO. Yellow tangs can be pretty nasty. Besides the cramped, undersized, tank factor, there's always the chance it will harass your other fish.

Soooo I ended up getting my 125g today! Should have got that tang lol. Oh well. :) so I am excited about it.

Back
Top Bottom