Zer0's Standard !0Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
So, for those of you who don't know me, I'm in the habit of building custom setups, and then selling them. It just comes natural to me. I build it, I think I'm going to set it up, and then I sell it. Well, I got pretty tired of that, and I really missed caring for a saltwater aquarium and all of the joys that come with it. Long story short, I was away from the upkeep for too long and now I crave the salt goodness.

Anyways, I got tired of all the bulkheads, the plumbing, the countless hours of DIY stand building... So I decided to set up something simple and small. I wanted a tank that would fit on my desk when I do work for school. Something I could look at when I needed to relax, take my eyes off the books and snap back to reality. So here, this is my attempt at accomplishing that.

To be quite honest, and trying not to be biased, I believe the tank to look better in person because my camera is pretty old and it doesn't capture the true shadows and colors of the tank. However, I do blame the light since it's an old 6500k spiral bulb. I had nothing else.

2d94gig.jpg

110xjyw.jpg

2vjbjgk.jpg

5yut53.jpg

All of the equipment you see before you will be gone in the coming weeks(or months lol). I plan to get an AC70 and do the fuge mod, and keep my heater in there as well. The Koralia Nano will stay. I want the added flow because I will probably be adding a couple species of SPS. If that's not enough flow, I'll add the Koralia 1 that I have.

My plan for this tank was to originally do a Wheeler's shrimp goby dedicated tank, but now I'm shying away from that idea because I don't want my sandbed to be too disturbed. So now, I'm probably going to go with a mated pair of Neon Gobies. They don't get very large, have a small bioload and I can feed them every other day, which means low nitrates and phosphates.

I plan on "eventually" making this a reef, but for the coming months it will only be a FOWLR. I'm going to wait until the rock gets nice and purple/green/red etc.. and full of algae, micro life and the like until I really start adding coral. Partially because I just want an established tank before I start adding any coral, and because I don't currently have a light to support any coral :lol:. My plans for that though is either the Nova 2x18w or 2x24w. Whichever one I can find for the cheapest I will do.

Equipment:

- 10G AGA Aquarium
- Aqueon 20 HOB Filter - Running carbon
- Junky 50W heater
- Koralia Nano
- Standard floating thermometer
- Spiral Fluorescent bulb in a HD reflector - 6500k bulb.

Pretty simple right? ;)

That's all for now. Comments, criticism, suggestions all accepted.

EDIT*

Oh yeah one more thing, I don't know if it's just in the petsmarts around me, but AGA has really stepped up their game on the silicone. The edges are actually pretty nice, and the silicone is not all over the place. I have a year old 10G from them and the difference in the new one is absolutely noticeable. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Neon gobys are soo small haha you will never see them! I like the rock setup a lot, it is very nice. How long has the tank been set up??

Thanks!

They are very small, yes lol. But a mated pair might bring a little activity, as well as maintaining a sense of tranquility. The tank has been set up for two days now, this being the second.

Last edited:
Are they a sand sitting goby or a rock sitting goby haha. I've only ever seen them at my LFS in little breeder nets so they wouldn't get lost in the crowd.

I don't think i've ever seen a neon goby. But then again i havent been looking! lol

Following.....

Are they a sand sitting goby or a rock sitting goby haha. I've only ever seen them at my LFS in little breeder nets so they wouldn't get lost in the crowd.

Nope, not sand sifters. They just perch around on the live rock and coral.

I don't think i've ever seen a neon goby. But then again i havent been looking! lol

Following.....

Thanks for following!

I have a red neon goby in my biocube. I thought it to be dead because I hadn't seen it in a month, did a tank move (removed all rock and water except an 1") and didn't see it. (yes kept the sand because its only a 1 year old tank, and I only moved it 15') So I was feeding the tank 2 weeks later and out comes the goby from no where. I moved the tank again (not partial to all the tank moves, but redoing the floor so didn't have a choice) and again took everything out & no goby. In the current setup he lives inside a rock near the front. I can't see him, but he darts out and grabs food when I feed, pretty neat :) I hope the pair brings them out, or the fact there aren't any bigger fish to mess with them, if not you'll just have a tank with rock :p

The Nova Extreme 2x18w won't fit a standard 10g without modifications, just so ya know.
Following along though. You think you're really gonna keep this one?:)

THANK. GOD.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Hopefully with this being extremely basic you won't be tempted to sell it since you wouldn't get dirt for cash for another setup lol. I think you're stocking sounds awesome, and with you're rock I think you'll always be able to see them around.

IMO go with the 24", the overhang on the 24" is little to none (If you're unsure look up maxst2's 10G nano journal, he got the 24"). You could always go with the FNI 24" 2 (or even 4) bulb! Oh no! I'm making it more complicated!

Cannot wait, glad this one got wet!

I have a red neon goby in my biocube. I thought it to be dead because I hadn't seen it in a month, did a tank move (removed all rock and water except an 1") and didn't see it. (yes kept the sand because its only a 1 year old tank, and I only moved it 15') So I was feeding the tank 2 weeks later and out comes the goby from no where. I moved the tank again (not partial to all the tank moves, but redoing the floor so didn't have a choice) and again took everything out & no goby. In the current setup he lives inside a rock near the front. I can't see him, but he darts out and grabs food when I feed, pretty neat :) I hope the pair brings them out, or the fact there aren't any bigger fish to mess with them, if not you'll just have a tank with rock :p

That sounds really awesome though. They are slender fish and can fit in many holes and crevices. Kind of why I like them. There will be no other fish in the tank to scare them away, and I am hoping that them being a pair will make them a little more active. We'll see how that one goes.

The Nova Extreme 2x18w won't fit a standard 10g without modifications, just so ya know.
Following along though. You think you're really gonna keep this one?:)

Yep. I am aware that the 18" Nova does not fit a standard 10G, I used to have one lol. However, I kind of like the idea of no overhang. I will be making a top for this tank, either acrylic or mesh, so it will sit right on the top. As for keeping this tank, I really hope so. I really love the rockwork and the depth of the sandbed, and I see a lot of potential for when this tank grows out with coral. The whole reason I did something simple and set it up so quickly was because I didn't want to get caught up in the building process, which is usually the main factor to the end result of me selling the tank shortly after.

THANK. GOD.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Hopefully with this being extremely basic you won't be tempted to sell it since you wouldn't get dirt for cash for another setup lol. I think you're stocking sounds awesome, and with you're rock I think you'll always be able to see them around.

IMO go with the 24", the overhang on the 24" is little to none (If you're unsure look up maxst2's 10G nano journal, he got the 24"). You could always go with the FNI 24" 2 (or even 4) bulb! Oh no! I'm making it more complicated!

Cannot wait, glad this one got wet!

Thanks for following Corey. I hear ya about the 24" light, but like I mentioned above, I may be considering the 18" model, at least until I have enough money to setup my DIY LEDs, which I will inevitably do.

And yeah, I completely agree with you. To try and sell this setup right now would be stupid, and I plan on keeping this tank for as long as possible. I also agree with the fish comment. The main reason I decided to push the rockwork up against the back was to push out any fish to the front, while still giving them the depth in the rockwork they need to hide and sleep. There's also a decent patch of empty space behind the rockwork, and I did that so my CUC could get back there to clean up any detritus, and so there's just a little more space for my inhabitants to hide.

Cheers!

EDIT*

Tank has a leak......

Last edited:
Of course, this is a brand new tank too isn't it? That stinks..

Good thing they're so cheap! Still tearing down and rebuilding is gonna suck

Lol that is a good point, maybe the low amount of silicon was a defective one. LAME.

Don't take too much time waiting to transfer things over. And definitely get your money back, that's stupid.

I just found this thread and I WAS excited to follow another zer0 " half way"build. In the words of the great Freddy Mercury... Another one bits the dust

Back
Top Bottom